Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can anyone help?

• Please log in to reply

*heather*

*heather*

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello :)

I signed up hoping that someone could help me with a problem I'm having. I'm not the most tech savvy person, but I can normally find and mostly understand a lot of information online when I'm having an issue thanks to places like this. My problem is that my computer will not start up as of last night. I got a message about failure being imminent the night before but was able to restart with no problems, but now it just stays on the Compaq screen with a few options like ESC and F10 and one more that I'm not remembering. The F buttons will not respond, but ESC will take me to a Boot Menu after a few minutes.

A different screen came up for a minute and I wrote down some of the message...

Primary Master Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad
Replace hard disk drive.

Immediate back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1210NX

What I'm wondering is does this mean that I will need to get a new hard drive? I never made the recovery CD's, but I see that you can order them online but just from doing a bit of searching it seems that maybe that wouldn't be enough? I can't get past the Compaq screen to actually do anything on that computer, so I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what I should do. If I would need a new hard drive, would anyone have any idea what kind I should get or where to get it from? I'm really not all that worried about losing anything on the computer because I don't have anything all that important on it, so my main concern is just getting it up and running again as soon as possible.

I hope I've provided enough information and I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone might have. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest running hard drive diagnostics but first you need to get to your data and backup what you don't want to lose.
You may have only one shot at this so we need to try first.

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recovery from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

*heather*

*heather*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks so much for your help :) I think I should be able to understand this, but I'll need to burn the CD on another computer since I can't get into Windows on that one. I should be able to try that later on, and I'll let you know how it goes. It wouldn't be a huge problem if I do lose everything on there, but of course it would be nice to save it. I'm just hoping that I can get the computer running again. I've hardly had any problems with it at all until very recently, so I'm just wondering what could have gone wrong. But I will try what you suggested and hopefully it will work. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes download and burn the program using the instruction I gave on a good system. Then take the newly created disk and put it in the cdrom drive of the problem system. If the boot sequence is setup right the system should boot to Puppy Linux. If not then we will have to adjust it so the cdrom is the first boot device.
As far as why it is having problems that is the easy response. The hard drive is a mechanical piece of machinery and like all mechanical parts it can wear out over time.
Heat and use can contribute to the life span of the parts within a system as well as the age of the parts.
Some of the best hard drives made now I believe will come with a 5 year warranty on them so anything after that is considered good.

*heather*

*heather*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I actually was able to get onto the problem computer, I'm not sure exactly how since I was just trying some different things after pressing F1 and then the screen went blank as if to restart and I started pressing F2 and it restarted again but this time just like normal. It's running at normal speed and so far I haven't gotten any error messages, but of course I'm not very confident that it will stay that way. I guess I could try doing the instructions you gave me on here since it's working, or do you think that could be a problem? A friend of mine did make me a recovery CD and told me to use it instead of buying one, and he knows more about this stuff than me but I'm not sure if it's the exact one I supposedly need (he says it should work) and I don't want to mess anything up as long as it's working. Do you think a recovery CD would help at all with the kinds of problems I'm having?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to be extra careful with it right now hoping that it might at least be useable until I can figure out what I need to do to fix it. So I'll try following your instructions and see how that goes and if you have any other suggestions now that it seems to be running fine for the moment I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since you are in windows then you can run the windows version of hd diagnostics. I don't like it as much but with your hd being iffy right now it is better then nothing.

First lets see if we can figure out what hd name brand you have.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

*heather*

*heather*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, I followed your instructions and hopefully this is what you wanted...

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer COMPUTER
Generator Compaq_Owner
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2011-05-11
Time 21:48

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name COMPUTER
User Name Compaq_Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron D 330, 2666 MHz (20 x 133)
Motherboard Name MSI Gamila/Giovani/Neon Series
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GEV
System Memory 247 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (09/24/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
Monitor Compaq 7550 [17" CRT] (MYAJL0A883)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP0802N (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B (DVD:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status FAIL

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 71561 MB (41627 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 4767 MB (834 MB free)
Total Size 74.5 GB (41.5 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Compaq PS2 Keyboard (2K - 3)
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (192.168.1.4)
Modem Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [B-0]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-0]
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

And here's the screenshot (I tried to attach it but I'm not sure if that worked):
http://oi56.tinypic.com/2labtd2.jpg

Please let me know if I missed something or if you need anything else. It is running a little bit slower at the moment, but still not too bad. Thanks again for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep perfect.
Some things I notice looking at the log.

OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

You need to update your SP to SP3 because of security risks.

System Memory 247 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

You seriously need to consider increasing your memory to 1 gig.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP0802N (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

This is the information i was looking for originally.
You have a Samsung hard drive so we need to find you a windows version of the Samsung diagnostic program.
Samsung from what I have been able to find does not have a Windows version but all is not lost yet. You can use Seagates diagnostics for windows.
You can get it HERE
Instructions and program are at the link above.

*heather*

*heather*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried downloading the SeaTools link but I keep getting an 'Msi launch conditions failed' message, so that doesn't seem to be working for some reason? Thanks for the advice about the SP and increasing my memory. I tend to just use the computer as long as it's working fine and not think about stuff like that unless there's a problem like with the issue I'm having now, which probably isn't a good thing. You don't think the memory could have anything to do with this problem, do you? I saw in the report that you asked for where it said FAIL for one of the categories, does that tell you anything?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No I think your problem is the hard drive and I am really trying not to have you to reboot unless it is the only way.
You can get the Seatools cd iso version for Dos.
That will allow you to reboot the system and test the hard drive outside windows if you like.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Advertisements

*heather*

*heather*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again :)

Well, I turned it off last night and turned it on again tonight and it seems as if nothing ever was wrong. Of course I know better, so I will attempt to follow your instructions and see what happens. There isn't any kind of thing I could get online to repair hardware problems, is there? I mean, assuming they're not overly bad. It sounds like I'll eventually have to get a new hard drive from what you're saying? I really want to try to figure it out before it goes bad again so that I'm not stuck like I thought I was yesterday. Would it be possible that a virus could cause issues like this at all? Sorry, I'm just wondering because it seems odd that it seemed so bad yesterday and then I pressed a few random keys and now it's like normal again. Is that typical with hard drive issues? Sorry again for so many questions, I'm just hoping I can figure out and fix this before it ends up happening again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

There isn't any kind of thing I could get online to repair hardware problems, is there? I mean, assuming they're not overly bad

We first have to determine what hardware if any is bad.

It sounds like I'll eventually have to get a new hard drive from what you're saying? I really want to try to figure it out before it goes bad again so that I'm not stuck like I thought I was yesterday

You need to run the diagnostic test I suggested so we can find out if it is the hd and how bad it is.

Would it be possible that a virus could cause issues like this at all?

I doubt it as I have never heard of a virus tripping the Smart detection on a HD before.

I'm just wondering because it seems odd that it seemed so bad yesterday and then I pressed a few random keys and now it's like normal again. Is that typical with hard drive issues?

Could have been a false alarm but again the diagnostics will tell us that.

Sorry again for so many questions, I'm just hoping I can figure out and fix this before it ends up happening again.

No need to be sorry as the only question that you don't ask will be the actual problem.

Try this and let me see what this can tell us.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

*heather*

*heather*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I followed your instructions and I think this is what you wanted...

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24360858

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes thank you and now can you do the hd diagnostic as I look through your log. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the same issues I raised before the PC Pit Stop has shown
SP needs to be updated to SP3
We need to run a TFC and Auslogics Defrag on your system
We need to reduce the amount of space Restore Points are using for your system to increase free space.
Very important that the memory be increased as you have barely enough to run just the OS alone.
Need to check the DMA is enabled on your hard drive to make sure the speed is being utilized correctly on the HD
Your sound AC97 is out of date so that needs to be updated.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download