Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer does peep sound

• Please log in to reply

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
i was thinking. When i got my pc 4 years ago, the pc didnt have this freeze probelm but had 512RAM like now. So, is it possible, that it can be some kind of virus?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope and you answered your own question with your explanation.
I take it you bought the system 4-5 years ago brand new correct?
Over time adding new programs software and such the amount of available free memory will decrease and the system will slow down.
Short of formatting and starting over fresh your option is to increase the memory to a minimum of 1 gig.

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Nope and you answered your own question with your explanation.
I take it you bought the system 4-5 years ago brand new correct?
Over time adding new programs software and such the amount of available free memory will decrease and the system will slow down.
Short of formatting and starting over fresh your option is to increase the memory to a minimum of 1 gig.

ok ,ty for fast replay and good info

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Formatting and starting over would take the system back to the native installation of programs and thus you would have the speed back you desired.
Just remember every piece of software and programs will use more memory.

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
u mean reinstall win xp?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep formatting it would erase everything from the system and take it back to the day it was brand new. Your speed would be back but none of your programs you have now would be there. You would have to reload everything but as you reload you have less memory free . Eventually you end up exactly as you are now. The optimal option is to increase your memory to 1 gig.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Eventually you end up exactly as you are now

You are welcome to blame badguys for much of this. Because of the proliferation of badguys since the introduction of XP, users have had to load up our systems with formidable, but essential security programs. These programs are typically huge and leave a big footprint on our CPU and RAM resources - but we cannot afford to run without them

As my colleague noted, 1Gb minimum would do you well. Note 1Gb used to be what was called the "sweet spot" for RAM with XP. That is, less would impact performance significantly, but more RAM would yield little returns for your money. But with the introduction of true multi-core CPUs, as well as the need for a robust security, I generally recommend 2Gb for XP.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well put Digerati and depending on your budget 2 gb would be the ultimate goal and would almost guarantee the slowdowns would cease. Just a further point the capacity of your HD and how much free space will account for a lot of of the slowdown also. A good rule of thumb especially on the drive where the OS is installed is to never allow it to get below 10% free space. This could cause the MFT or Master File Table to become unstable and eventually lead to the system become inoperable.

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
i think i have lost my windows xp cd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have your reg key for your OS?

Advertisements

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Do you have your reg key for your OS?

u mean System information>Registered to 0000-0000-0000-0000-0000 ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is it. You will need that number in case a total install is needed :)

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have never done this before, so i gonna need help. First of all, if i do reinstall, when i get back to normal, will i have anti virus, net browser?
And how to do reinstall?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope you will have nothing as the drivers will need to be reinstalled and all your programs will need to be reinstalled.
Before doing that is there any data that needs to be saved because once the fresh install is done the data will be gone.
Do you have a drivers disk for your system?

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
i think i dont have.