Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does This Build Work?

• Please log in to reply

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I just compiled all the parts that I need, (that's me personally, I have things like CD drives) and I'm a little weary on whether or not everything will function properly, I.E. the power supply working and having enough room in the computer case. Here's a list of my parts:

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

XIGMATEK HDC-D802 Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler for HDD Bay (Free with HDD)

Asus VK278Q Black 27" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Webcam

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600+MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard Combo

Please forgive me if I made any obvious mistakes. This will be my first build. <3

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday urdadinatoaster>

Good selection, everything will work together.

I see that you have gone for the combo deal. Some information just in case you are not aware of the following.

The H67 motherboards have video outlets on board. The Sandy Bridge 2500 and 2600 have integrated graphics in the CPU but have limited overclocking.
When those CPUs are installed on the H67 Mobo you have access to the integrated graphics BUT when you install a discrete video card the integrated graphics are disabled.

The P67 motherboards do NOT have any video outlets, so no matter which Sandy Bridge CPU you install you have NO access to integrated graphics and have to install a discrete video card.
So most builders will upgrade to the 2500K or 2600K to access the overclocking features.

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Gday urdadinatoaster>

Good selection, everything will work together.

I see that you have gone for the combo deal. Some information just in case you are not aware of the following.

The H67 motherboards have video outlets on board. The Sandy Bridge 2500 and 2600 have integrated graphics in the CPU but have limited overclocking.
When those CPUs are installed on the H67 Mobo you have access to the integrated graphics BUT when you install a discrete video card the integrated graphics are disabled.

The P67 motherboards do NOT have any video outlets, so no matter which Sandy Bridge CPU you install you have NO access to integrated graphics and have to install a discrete video card.
So most builders will upgrade to the 2500K or 2600K to access the overclocking features.

So you're saying it's completely worth the extra $20-30 for the 2600K? I can swing that. =)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The ATX Form Factor standard insures your ATX PSU will fit inside your ATX case and connect to your ATX motherboard.

I don't see an OS listed. New computers require their own licenses. OEM licenses for Windows that came with other computers are NOT transferable to new computers.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

So you're saying it's completely worth the extra $20-30 for the 2600K? I can swing that. =)

Yes, well worth the extra.

I also advise you to upgrade to the newest Z68 Motherboard, the ASRock Z68 PRO3 ATX Intel Motherboard
This is a comparison page, > http://www.newegg.co...1^13-157-251-TS

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
How are things going?

An update would be appreciated.

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hi.
How are things going?

An update would be appreciated.

I have yet to actually purchase the components. Just wanted to make sure I did my research and had plenty of time to weigh my options beforehand. This build probably won't be completed until the later end of this year.

Edited by urdadinatoaster, 08 June 2011 - 05:11 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK.

Thanks for the update. Start a new topic if you need Any more help before you start your build.