Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cable/adapter for dual monitor

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi, I have a dell PC hooked up to a flatscreen Dell Monitor. I have an extra monitor (same as the one I am using) and want to hook it up as a dual. The cable on the monitor is a standard 15 pin Male. But the port for the dual monitor on my comp is a 9 pin female. I looked around and have found two adapters to put together to make it work, but wondering if there is an easier way or if someone sells the cable. I hate to pay 7 shipping on a 7 dollar item from Cables to Go. THey have a 15 pin gender changer, and then a 15pin to 9 pin adapter. Please let me know.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You sure that 9-pin is video? What does it look like? If it looks like this then that is a serial port, not video. If round, then it may be a VIVO port and typically used to feed a TV (s-video) with a similar port VIVO often carries audio too. As noted here, VIVO ports can be configured for different things and consequently need the necessary drivers, depending on function. More importantly for your case, they may not be suited for use with adapters.

Please provide the model number of your Dell and the inputs your monitors support, then we can be more specific.

As a long time dual-monitor user, I can say this. Your best solution may be to get a new graphics card that supports your monitors directly, without adapters (except perhaps DVI to HDMI - since the digital video protocols in both are identical). If you don't game, then you don't need to spend a lot, and may not need to upgrade the PSU.

Note in today's graphics oriented world, assuming an ample supply of RAM (at least 2Gb), upgrading the graphics solution can yield a significant over all performance boost for your computer. Next to bumping up RAM, a new graphics card typically gives the best bang in terms of performance gains for the money. So you might consider "investing" in a new card, one with the necessary graphics ports to support your current and future needs. The downside is graphics cards can be very power hungry - often the most demanding device inside the computer, at least for high-end cards. And many cards require additional power connections.

If like me, once you get used to running with 2 monitors, you will wonder how you lived with just one. That said, while Windows (XP and newer) supports multi-monitors, not all programs do and so having a multi-monitor utility is almost a necessity. My favorite is UltraMon – not free, but worth it. Others have suggested the free DisplayFusion, but I have no experience with it.

higby88

higby88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yes, that is what I have on the back of my Comp. But it shows the dual monitor logo " IoIoI " . Does this mean that I cannot run duals? I have always had them so this is a real burden only having one... Seems my Comp is the only one in the office without a new card.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

yes, that is what I have on the back of my Comp

:) :unsure: I am reminded of my grandkids sitting in the back seat of the car and asking, "what is that?"

I referenced two totally different 9-pin connections - you did not say which one - and I don't what "that" is.

higby88

higby88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Oh, my PC is a dell optiplex 755

higby88

higby88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Sorry, it is the 9 pin serial adapter

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, sadly there appears to be several versions of the Optiplex 755 so not sure, without the exact full model which one you have. Note it supports 1 "VGA" which is the D-Sub 15-pin analog connector and 1 DVI digital (the connector on the right in the first link in my post above). It also has 1 serial port, which I suspect is that 9-pin. In other words, the 9-pin does not appear to be a video connection.

Did you look in your manual? Note on page 167 it clearly shows that 9-pin is the serial port.

Finally, that is not a dual monitor logo. That is an image depicting a "series" of 1s and 0s - thus indicating a "serial" port.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Okay, I was pulled away so missed your post about the serial connection.

So, it looks like you need a new card if you want to use dual monitors - unless that computer has an added card - I suspect not.