Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitor Cable/port Issue

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi, I have a dell PC hooked up to a flatscreen Dell Monitor. I have an extra monitor (same as the one I am using) and want to hook it up as a dual. The cable on the monitor is a standard 15 pin Male. But the port for the dual monitor on my comp is a 9 pin female. I looked around and have found two adapters to put together to make it work, but wondering if there is an easier way or if someone sells the cable. (15 pin Male to 9 Pin Female) Cablestogo.com has a 15 pin gender changer, and then a 15pin to 9 pin adapter. Please let me know. Not sure how I am the only one with this issue?!

Advertisements

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
without know what dellpc you have I'm thinking your "second port" you think you have with 9 pins is actually the serial port on your computer. To run dual monitors you'll need a new video card.

VGA for monitors
VGA

Serail port
Serial

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this what you are looking for?
I found it HERE

higby88

higby88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yes. I found that adapter and another since I have to take a 15 male monitor cord and get it into the female 9 pin serial port. But will this in fact work? On my comp I have the 15 pin serial port for my main monitor, and then the 9 pin serial port labeled " IoIoI " Also, in display options in windows, I have the option to run 2 monitors. I just want to make sure this will work and not just give me two of the same screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the 9 pin next to, above or below the 15 pin?
I just want to make sure it is actually a video connection because serial port is entirely different then a video port.

higby88

higby88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
It is next to it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your computer a Dell also and if so what make and model?
If some other name brand please provide brand, make and model. I can check the connections on the motherboard then.

honnelsihonn

honnelsihonn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i was thinking of the same thing
did it work ?