Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp only boots in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

davek62

davek62

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Last night I turned on my PC and it would only boot in safe mode (all safe modes).
Have not installed any new hardware or software.
Can do most things in safe mode, internet etc. Any thoughts? I do run comcast norton suite.

davek62

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello davek62.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :yes:
:) :unsure:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Is this a laptop or desktop?
Name brand like Dell or HP?
If so what make and model?
If custom built what motherboard make and model?
What happens when you try to start in normal mode?
Do you get any error message or BSOD?

davek62

davek62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Is this a laptop or desktop? Desktop
Name brand like Dell or HP? Gateway
If so what make and model? Profile 4
If custom built what motherboard make and model? original
What happens when you try to start in normal mode? The screen shows some garbage (small distortion), but I can see the wimdows xp logo and it tries to open, goes black and resets and opens with the safe mode menu
Do you get any error message or BSOD? no error message

Have tried checkdisk repair runs but no help, have restored to last week settings, no help. I have a couple of shared files with my network, they still work. Have been able to save some data files to a different hard drive. I have not tried to do a full restore from my norton .
backup file any help is deeply appreciated.

Dave62

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a recovery disk for the system or access to a OEM version of the same XP you have installed? Home, Media or Pro?
We could try a Repair Installation or a Parallel Installation[/b] but they both require a installation disk to work.
Also are you receiving and BSOD during all this?

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi all......how about your graphics driver ?............go to device manager & uninstall the graphics then reboot. windows will reinstall the driver. if this doesn't help try downloading driver or later version.

davek62

davek62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Do you have a recovery disk for the system or access to a OEM version of the same XP you have installed? Home, Media or Pro?
We could try a Repair Installation or a Parallel Installation[/b] but they both require a installation disk to work.
Also are you receiving and BSOD during all this?

I have the oem windows xp home edition cd that came with the pc in 2003. Instructions are insert in CD Drive, restart computer, follow on screen instructions. Does it matter that the operating system disk is so old?

I don't know what BSOD is?

Davek62

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I don't know what BSOD is?

Blue Screen Of Death

I have the oem windows xp home edition cd that came with the pc in 2003

The same system?

davek62

davek62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes same system,but has had many updates over the years

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem as a repair will only fix the files that are damaged.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

davek62

davek62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, that wasn't a lot of fun. Went thru the repair, something went west with the video. Screen is a mess, but did boot. had an old Service pack 2 CD and was able to load that. I was hoping to than use windows update to bring me forward, but get error message 0x8007043c.need to find a copy of a later version of internet explorer, sp2 got me to version 6, which isn't supported.

Will rry again

Dave62

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IE8 HERE

davek62

davek62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
tried again and failed. Bought a new PC running windows seven. Was able to move most of my data from old PC to new. I hook up the new PC with my printer and planned to use that as my network printer. The new windows 7 is 64 bit, the other laptops on my network are xp (32) and window 7 (32).now neither laptop can print. They look like they will but noting happens. The Printer is an HP Officejet 6500.

Help again!!!

davek62

davek62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Gets a little crazy can print from notepad, excel,outlook, but not from word 2007 on my laptops. Everything works great on the new pc where the printer is diredtly attached

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you set the printer up as a network printer or as a shared printer

davek62

davek62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Not really sure. Installed using HP Disk on Gateway all in one running windows 7. Works fine. on my laptop (Windows XP) I added printer via workgroup.

Edited by davek62, 29 May 2011 - 06:01 AM.