Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help to restore Dell pc with windows xp to facory without disc please?

• Please log in to reply

fojo1979

fojo1979

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so my computer in the kids room is just full of junk and I really just want to wipe everything and start over I don't know the specs of the computer except its not new its a dell and I don't have discs for factory restore . Can someone please help I know I'm not giving a lot to work with I'm just hoping that there is a general way to do it with a Dell pc with xp . Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this and let me know if it works.

Dell:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

fojo1979

fojo1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That didn't work I tried it a few times ;-(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then your options are to contact Dell and see about purchasing a set of recovery disks for your system or purchasing a OEM copy of XP of the same version that was originally installed on your system.
The Dell way will probably be less then 50USD where as the OS disk alone will be close to 100USD.
The Dell way will include your OS and all the original drivers where the OS disk alone we will have to find and download the drivers from the Dell site.
The other option is to take some time and clean your system out manually here and try to get as much Junk as you put it deleted and uninstalled.

fojo1979

fojo1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I appreciate your time and help . I will give dell a call and just get the set of discs as that seems the best route. I made double sets of restore discs for my lap top and gave a set to my dad to hold .but I wasn't as up on computers 5 years ago . I'm really really surprised that it won't work without the discs though. I know so many people with older dell pcs that did it with none but everyone has a different idea on how to do it so its confusing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The recovery partition is used now instead of a set of recovery disks being sold with the new systems. It is a cost saving measure taken by most of the big name system makers.
Luckily most do not charge much for a original set and IMHO it is a great way to make sure you always have everything you need to bring the system back to factory like new condition.
Please let me know what Dell says and as always we will monitor this topic for your results or in case you need further assistance with this issue.

fojo1979

fojo1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Than you again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 22 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.