Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Travelmate only boots up in certain locations

• Please log in to reply

Stephen B

Stephen B

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Acer Travelmare C110 with Windows Tablet XP English). About 18 months ago it started crashing on boot-up. Windows would start loading but the crash happens just before displaying the Desktop. It crashes into Check Disc, runs the check, then starts to re-boot and crashes again. It WILL boot-up in safe mode.

Sometimes it goes into the Acer restore and does a complete restore re-setting absolutely everything.

However, it DOES work perfectly anywhere other than in my home or on my drive! This week I have tested this by carrying it with me in my car on various journeys. Wherever I am, it boots perfectly (even in the USA when visiting my son last year - I am in the UK) and is fully functional in every way.

But as soon as I get back on to my drive at home and I turn it on, it crashes.

I wondered whether its was due to a wireless network in my area? I have tried turning off my hub to no avail, and I have tried turning off the Wireless 'button' in set-up, that doesn't help either.

Logically I cannpt think of anything other than some rogue RF problem emanating from somewhere near me, but I am not an expert.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Stephen B ... :) ..:unsure:

are you shutting down using the power switch or soft shutdown...

also use the device manager to see if you have any yellow ! or ? marks

Stephen B

Stephen B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi and thank you for responding.

I close down properly when the Acer is running alright. In crash conditions I use the power switch because I can't do anything else.

Just to emphasise that it runs perfectly anywhere other than at home. I have used it 4 miles away, 80 miles away and 5000 miles away without any problems whatsoever, but in my house and in the close vicinity (my garden and drive) it crashes while Windows is loading and before the desktop appears ......

I have often used Acer's Restore facility by getting into the Set Up (F2),which puts the tablet back to pristine condition (ie- no files other than what it came with).

I will take it somewhere tomorrow and look for yellow !s etc.

Thank you again and best wishes

Stephen

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the usual reason for a crash during the boot process is a driver issue...but that would/should happen no matter where you are...
the only thing that could be different at your house is if the wireless is trying to connect to your home network and that is causing the crash...you can try disabling the wireless and then try booting at home to see if my theory is correct