Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not load on screen

• Please log in to reply

crazymeggz

crazymeggz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a 2005 Dell laptop. I can turn on my computer and the Dell start-up will begin. The Windows software start-up should appear next, but it doesn't. The battery is fine. I do not know what to do. I am not sure if I need to get new Windows software disks or buy a new computer all together. After the Dell screen appears.... the screen just turns black. I have tried to restart and nothing happens. Please help.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Welcome crazymeggz -
Please read through This Thread from a while ago on this forum.
There may be some good ideas for you to try first.
Please post back if nothing there helps.

Thank You -

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please download ARCDC.exe from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. ..pick The Windows version of the system you need it for
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files if you want...not sure then you don't need any
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..press enter

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
WARNING... Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is... When chkdsk is finished it will automatically reboot your computer....

crazymeggz

crazymeggz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't do anything!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need a working computer to create the cd...get a friend or family member to burn it for you...
then put the cd in the misbehaving computer and run chkdsk /r