Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cooler Master 212 Hyper Plus

• Please log in to reply

dustintherrien

dustintherrien

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just bought a new Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for my new rig, but something was confusing me about the install I saw online. The mounted pictures I have seen online all show the CPU fan facing away from the rear exhaust fan. Wouldn't it be more efficient to have the CPU fan facing the rear exhaust, or am I missing something?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I look for good front to back air flow through the case. The only alternative to me is up. If you are referring to which side of the heat sink you mount the fan, not sure that matters. It is the direction of flow that matters - at least in my mind.

dustintherrien

dustintherrien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Below is a link to a build I saw. You can see that they have the fan opposite the rear exhaust fan. It seems weird to me, but maybe it improves airflow overall in that configuration. Maybe they are utilizing the fan to help whisk away heat from the memory sticks, but I don't know. Thoughts?

http://www.bit-tech....-on-lynnfield/3

dustintherrien

dustintherrien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, now I feel like an idiot, the fan IS mounted on the opposing side of the heatsink than the rear exhaust, but for some reason I was thinking the fan was PULLING the air away from the heatsink (blowing towards the front), but now I am thinking the fan is blowing through the heatsink fins towards the rear. . .

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No problem. Note most fans have two small, often hard to see arrows impressed in their housing, one indicating blade rotation direction and the other flow direction.

dustintherrien

dustintherrien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah I've seen the arrows on my current fans before. Thanks for the reply anyway, guess I have just been overthinking it lately, I tend to do that. It took me like 2 months to decide intel vs AMD when I was first putting it together lol

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Some times it is hard to decide what you want until you set a budget. But then it can be hard setting a budget until you decide what you want. And just when you get it sorted out, a new and improved version of something comes along and you have to start over. :)