Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Which Video Card should I get ?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I am getting a new Dell PC with following Configuration & need Help in choosing a Video Card.

I am going to use 55 inch LED TV as my monitor so I can do regular computing as well as use it
as a Home Theater PC.

I am not going to use it for gaming at all.

Most of my applications are stocks & Commodities charting graphics applications & do require intense computing power & Powerful CPUs & lots of RAM is recommended.
Most of the people use multi monitors, upto 12 monitors. But where I am located, I can't get those multimonitor cards & if I import them, then there is no support for it or replacement possible. So I chose the route of 55 inch TV as a monitor in which I can bring up 8 charts in one screen instead of 8 monitors.

Intel Core i-7 2600 Sandy Bridge ( 3.4 GHz ) Processor

8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz

Windows -7 Ultimate ( 64 bit )

500 GB Sata 3.0Gb/s HDD

Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio

Hauppauge® WinTV-HVR-1200 Hybrid Analog/Digital TV Tuner

I have to choose one of the following 2 video cards :

1 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT420 as default video card.

1 GB ATI® Radeon™ HD5770 Graphics Card for Extra $ 100.00

Should I pay $ 100.00 extra for Radeon HD 5770 ? If yes, What will it do that NVIDIA won't ?

Thank You.

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Easier...Spend $39-49 on a ATI HD5450
its a Low profile, Passive cooled Graphics card that uses like 19watts PEAK

Not exactly for gaming, but for HTPC use it's supposed to be pretty good..
It's what I have and I'm able to play Portal on high and Hydrophobia on Medium
Not bad for a entry level card if you ask me.

Got my 1GB model for $39.99 512MB can be as cheap as $19.99

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,727 posts
Hi georgetok
The HD5770 is a better card than the GT420 but not $100 better for what your intended use is.
If it was me I would give the GT420 a try and only replace it if I was unhappy with it, this
way you could then sell the GT420 with the proceeds going towards what you will have paid for
your new card which as Foxxed has already highlighted can be obtained for less than the $100
you have been quoted by Dell.
The power supply units and case sizes brands like Dell use are often a restricting factor when
you want to upgrade hardware such as video cards with low profile cards and upgrading to a more
powerful PSU most often being required.
What is the model name or series number of the Dell so we can check the PSU and case size details.
It would take a novice no more than 30 minutes to swap a video card safely so no need to pay a tech
for their services either. :)