Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows 2000 boot disk

• Please log in to reply

mrjam

mrjam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I have a computer in my shop that crashed and I do not have a bootable disk for windows (2000). is there any way i can create a boot disk for windows 2000 to be able load in the computer? hope this is not too vague. thank you.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit mrjam? and welcome to GtoG...

If you just need to repair the Win2000 hard drive, boot using a WinXP CD and then go into system repair, (pressing R at the 1st screen). This will allow you to run chkdsk /r on the Win2000 hard drive. If you need to reload the operating system, the boot files are on the Win2000 CD and there's a batch file that will create them, (it takes 4 stiffy disks). Then you boot using them and the system eventually accesses the Win2000 CD after all 4 disks load.

Hope this helps...

mrjam

mrjam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hello mark and thanks for the welcome and the tip. I will be trying to do this shortly. thanks again!