Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting to Router

• Please log in to reply

bd7447

bd7447

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm trying to fix the settings in a friend's wireless D-Link modem/router. The admin page is set on 192.168.1.1 I am currently hard wired to this router and not connected to any other router/network.

Whilst connected like this, for some reason, it will not open the logon page when I call 192.168.1.1

However, here's the rub. If I connect wirelessly to my own router, whilst also hardwired to the D-Link, when I call 192.168.1.1 it immediately opens the logon page.

The problem of not connecting is not specific to me. My friend is unable to logon at home, which is why he brought the router to me. I spent hours trying to connect before, accidentally, stumbling on the workaround above.

Does anyone know why I can't open the logon page of the D-link unless I'm also connected wirelessly to my own router at the same time? My own router is, likewise set to 192.168.1.1 for the logon page.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like you are just connecting wirelessly to your own router and not to your friend's. Have you tied resetting the router? There should be a button on the back called RESET. Use a straightened paperclip to push it down and hold it down for 30 seconds.

Ron

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello bd7447:

Please follow RKinner advise and after resetting...

• Use Cross Cable and connect via LAN port
  • Often default IP of D-Link is 192.168.0.1
  • Change default admin password
  • Change default IP scheme (for added security)
  • Configure Wireless Modem/Router
  • Encrypt wireless connection
You may search for complete configuration guide pertinent to model at D-Link website