Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Is there any possible remedy for this, or is it hopeless?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yesterday I somehow got my plug-in microphone caught in something, and, while remaining in the jack, it caused severe damage to the jack--in fact the area was seriously bent out of shape. I restored it to the original appearance, more or less, but the consequence has been a very poor connection between the microphone plug and the computer receptacle. In fact, I must exert strong and constant pressure on the microphone plug inward in order to have a working connection between it and the jack, which obviously is not a solution. So I want to know: Is there any trick, something I can insert into the microphone jack, perhaps, to restore a good connection? Or, in general, how do I proceed from here? Or is it a lost cause?

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
The tension in the contacts can be restored, but typically from inside. If the prongs are not accessible, they cannot be bent. But worse than that, like any spring, once it is over stretched or bent too far, it never quite has the same "tensile strength", and will not stay in shape for long. So eventually, it will need to be replaced.