Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop charger port

• Please log in to reply

filly77

filly77

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi everyone, i have a gateway nx860x laptop. Ive rarely used it, I prefer desktops. now that my desktop has basically had it ive been trying to use my laptop. Again I stress I've barely used this laptop, its older but barely touched! anyway i noticed the charger when unplugged was getting scorching hot, like to the point of it would burn you if you touched it longer than a second. it got so hot, it melted the plastic casing on the laptop. (you know that circle the charger plugs into is melted smooth around the hole now)

so id charge it for a few then unplug it b4 it got hot, but it started not charging unless you messed with the cord. I took the lappy to the puter guy last fall, he replaced the port for 120.00 and was told to buy a new charger. My desktop broke a couple weeks ago, so I finally ordered a new replacement charger so I could use the laptop. Its still getting scorching hot and you still have to mess with the cord n hope it starts charging. I called the computer man and he said to drop it back off and he will look at it, said theres a warranty for a year on the port, if its the port it will be fixed free of charge. Good thing for me because like I said it was replaced last fall but I never used the laptop since. Hopefully its just another faultu port, If not then that means I paid 100 dollars in labor for nothing as what he "fixed" didnt fix anything. If I liked using laptops I would of noticed right after it was "fixed" but nope I just put it in the case and enjoyed my desktop (gotta get that fixed too lol)

my question is, what else could be causing the computer to get so hot at the port area and to refuse to charge? I mean it will even burn thru the plastic coating on the cord! could it still be the port? like maybe a faulty one?

I have 2 chargers, the OEM charger and the new one with the exact specs of the original (19V 6.3A) So I know the new charger is the same as the original. Im not wondering if my original charger wasnt the culprit.. Im wondering if something else is causing the charger port to heat up so much.

any thoughts as to whats going on? gotta go, its getting hot :|

I need to bring the lappy back to him soon b4 my puter fries!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi filly77
It is possible there is a short somewhere inside the case or it may be the battery, what happens if you remove
the battery and run the laptop direct from the AC adapter, does the adapter still get hot?