Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing Cd/dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahhh ok now that makes sense. You never mentioned it was a laptop in your initial post.
Being a laptop most likely the drive has failed and needs to be replaced. :)
Your option is to purchase a new one at this point.
If you want to take it out and try putting it back in to see if the contact points are being made correctly you can do that.
You can go HERE and download the manual which seems to be very well illustrated on how to remove and replace the cd\dvd drive in most model laptops. Just look for a model the same or about the same as your laptop. Click on that and then download the pdf file. When it opens just read through it to see how to do the steps.

Advertisements

jrbennett89

jrbennett89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Ahhh ok now that makes sense. You never mentioned it was a laptop in your initial post.
Being a laptop most likely the drive has failed and needs to be replaced. :)
Your option is to purchase a new one at this point.
If you want to take it out and try putting it back in to see if the contact points are being made correctly you can do that.
You can go HERE and download the manual which seems to be very well illustrated on how to remove and replace the cd\dvd drive in most model laptops. Just look for a model the same or about the same as your laptop. Click on that and then download the pdf file. When it opens just read through it to see how to do the steps.

Ok so weirdest thing just happened, my cd rom drive just magically showed up this morning on my computer. not sure how but i guess im good for now lol
thanks for sticking with me though and helping

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would still suspect a failing drive. I suggest still checking into a new one just in case :unsure:

I am glad it is back right now but I will continue to monitor this topic for a few days just in case. :)