Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

laptop to tv

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hooked up my HP G60 to my Toshiba Cinema Series HD TV via a HDMI (comp) to DVI (TV). It worked for a little while but the picture was to big for the tv so messing around with the settings i think i broke something, when i plug everything in the computer shuts down. So how bad did i break my computer and is there any way to fix it. Thanks for your help

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,709 posts
Hi mparis79 :)

so messing around with the settings i think i broke something,

Adjusting settings such as screen resolution etc will not normally break anything, can
you be more specific as in what did you mess with!

when i plug everything in the computer shuts down

This suggests something more than a bad setting, CPU overheating due to a failed CPU fan
or dust clogging up the system are typical examples, has the inside of the case ever been
cleaned out, the exhaust vents, heat sink and CPU fan in particular.
Also worth mentioning is the fact that systems using the NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G video chip
are known to have issues with the chip overheating, this has been put down to a poor manufacturer
process, hooking the laptop up to the Toshiba may have stressed an already flaky GFX chip.
Similar problems reported @ http://h30434.www3.h...lems/td-p/91754
Have you tried removing the battery and running on the AC adapter only?