Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot up problem

• Please log in to reply

abrahams child

abrahams child

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
two days ago comcast was offering a free protection program called constant guard. i installed the program with no problems. but the next day during start up my computer would freeze at "windows is starting up". i booted in the safe mode and checked defraging disk, disk cleanup, and used cclean to clean up my system. then it booted up. today when i started my computer it did the same thing as the day before and had to start in the safe mode and uninstalled constant guard from comcast but at a restart it froze again. when i restarted again in the safe mode it went to the desk top not in the safe mode. do you think that this program from comcast has messed with my system. had no problems before. what do i need to do to correct this problem. not turning off my computer till i am able to fix it. thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you get this notice in your comcast email?

Subject: Constant Guard Security Notice
Customer Security Assurance Notice

Dear Comcast Customer,

Your immediate attention is required. Constant Guard™ identified that one or more of your computers may be infected with a "Bot".

We strongly recommend that you visit the Comcast Constant Guard Center at https://constantguard.comcast.net for important information on how to remove malicious software from your computer(s).

A "Bot" is malicious software or malware that is used to gain control of your computer, typically without your knowledge. Online criminals can use Bots to collect your personal and private data, such as Social Security numbers, bank account information, and credit card numbers by monitoring your keystrokes. This can lead to identity theft and fraud.

We appreciate your prompt attention to this important online security notice.

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
no.

Edited by abrahams child, 13 May 2011 - 08:33 PM.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
i did download from an email but not the one you posted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would not normally ask for this but can you copy and paste the email notification to me in a pm? I don't want your personal info to be put in the open topic for others to see. I want to make sure the email is legit as the reason for this is because of a bot that Comcast is trying to head off.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
how do you do copy/paste a pm?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Copy the email and then paste it in a private message to me

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the email looks legit.
I think the issue and installing the software is a fluke.

Lets try a couple of things and you will need to reboot for at least some of the tests to work. I will start with the OS first so you should not have to reboot.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
after running the sfc which i to retry many times to complete the scan then right clicking on my computer, expand event viewer, then ssystem there was an error service control manager event 7000 on 5/13/11.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you click on the event itself and expand it? That should give you more details of the event.

Advertisements

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
the description said the cgps service failed to start due to the following error: system cannot find the file specified.

angieKae

angieKae

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HELP.....HELP....HELP111 I have not been able to get into my eMachine for nearly two weeks. I am on my boyfriends comp. right now. When I turn on my comp. it shows a black screen with a grey shaded box in the center that reads "No Signal". Then the screen goes black for a second or two, then the eMachine logo and "DEL=set up", and "F-12=Boot Menu" in the lower left corner. I have tried to get into the boot menu but it asks for a password. The only password I have ever known I tried but it says "Incorrect Password". I then got a password recovery disc, but my cd rom drive is unrecognized as the first boot position. Without the password I cannot change the cd rom position so the disc does me no good either. HELP.......what can I do? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: angiekae

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Abrahams child Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to [b]Winlogon]/b] and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Did you try using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly? (It's easy to do):