Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Building my first PC and very overwhelmed

• Please log in to reply

crash4216

crash4216

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Guys,

I decided to start my first computer build and I think I am in over my head. After alot of research I've decided on the intel i5 2500 Sandy Bridge processor...and after I picked this I got lost. Everything I choose makes me change somthing Ive already picked.

I'm not a huge gamer so I dont need a grafics card, but I would like the option to add it later. Im looking for 8GB of memory now with the option of adding at least another 8GB later (16 GB total). My budget is 650 dollars. I have the proccessor already picked out at 209.99 on newegg.com so that leaves me with about $450 left for motherboard, memory, hard drive, powersupply, case, and fans.

Anyone with any suggestions please let me know!!!

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you probably need to ask a specific question to get a specific answer.

You did not say what you want this PC for. 8Gb is a lot for someone not planning on gaming. Any more is not likely to yield much in the way of improvement for most uses.

You want a quality power supply. A cheap one is like using cheap gas in a new sports car. Only an engine can miss a beat and keep running. A PC just crashes.

I don't see an Operating System listed. A new computer needs its own license.