Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer in storage one year now won't work

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
My computer was in storage for a year, and now the monitor doesn't work. The computer turns on, but nothing shows on the monitor. When I press the "monitor" button on the monitor the screen lights up and the words "Test Good" come on the screen. Then the monitor goes dark again. I don't have another computer or monitor to test the computer or monitor with. Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi aaaa44
Try replacing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB it is possible it has died, whilst
you have the computer open take the opportunity to clean out any heat trapping dust.
below is a guide for "how to" clean out your computer safely[

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the still.
Make sure all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I don't have another computer or monitor to test the computer or monitor with.

Then there's not much you can do to isolate the problem to the computer, or to the monitor. Unless by a the slim chance that computer has a motherboard with integrated graphics and an add-in graphics card too. Of course, if the problem is the power supply, then you still won't be able to tell. :)

Ask around. You might be surprised how many people have and old monitor stuck in a closet too.