Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU/CPU Temperatures

• Please log in to reply

raylanw

raylanw

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey all,

I've recently gotten my computer up and running and I've been very happy with it so far. Now that it is up and running, my mind is on retention and taking care of my rig. I've been delving through Google searches for what recommended temperatures are for my GPU and CPU both in idle and under load, but I've found a wide variety of answers which isn't very reassuring. I was hoping you guys could let me know so that I can get a good idea of what I should do next.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
GPU: 2x (SLI) EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

It would be great to get info on:

- Recommended idle temperatures for both

- Recommended temperatures under load for both

- Critical temperatures to avoid or that would damage my parts

As extra info, my GPU's are running at 30-40 idle (single monitor) and around 60-70 under load. My CPU is ranging from 35-40 idle and 50-60 under load. General and specific help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Actually, I have a second question as well. I'm playing a pretty graphic intensive game right now and I'm noticing some hiccups. When I check my GPU usage, my GPU 1 is in the 75+ range but my GPU 2 is only in the 20+. Is there a way to crank up the usage so that there are NO hiccups in-game? Thanks!

Edited by raylanw, 15 May 2011 - 01:55 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Your temps are fine. GPUs run hotter than CPUs. I don't like my CPUs to go over 60°C. If they do, that generally indicates the case is not providing adequate cooling. It may need cleaning, better cable management, and/or another fan to provide the necessary front-to-back air flow.

GPU 2? Do you have two GPUs?

Crank up the usage? If you are asking how to overclock your card, I suggest you plug your cards exact model number and the word overclock into Google. Personally, I don't recommend it - ESPECIALLY since you are concerned with heat.

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'm running two cards right now and the second one isn't contributing much. The game graphics lag a little bit but the usage %'s are low for the 2nd card leading me to believe the performance could be enhanced somehow. I definitely don't want to overclock, especially because I have no idea what that means or how to do it. I was wondering if there wasn't an easier way to ferret out more utility from the cards? Thanks!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I was wondering if there wasn't an easier way to ferret out more utility from the cards?

Not really - assuming you have the latest drivers and they are working old. Overclocking turns up the "clock" speeds. In digital electronics, everything works by the tick of the clock. Make the clock tick faster and everything works faster. BUT, you make the clock tick faster by increasing voltages. That makes everything work harder and beyond published specs. Harder work means more heat - and as noted in my sig, heat is the bane of all electronics.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
raylanw check out utility tool Riva Tuner @ http://www.freewaref...programid=13538