Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection slower than I'm paying for

• Please log in to reply

haujob

haujob

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi experts,

Home internet problem: paying for 30Mbps service. Technician plugs his laptop into my modem, speed tests at 29. My computer (testing both IE and Firefox) speed tests at 9.5Mbps. Malware bytes/Spybot/Superantispyware reports my comp is clean. I'm using the same connection, modem, cables, etc. as the tech, just my desktop is different. Not going through a router - connected directly to the modem.

Tried manually setting network card speed to 10 or 100 to see if one of those settings helps. No improvement.

Tried changing the default packet size to optimize the connection using http://www.speedguid...t/downloads.php - no improvement.

Help?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi haujob,

Technician plugs his laptop into my modem, speed tests at 29

Is your computer desktop or laptop?

Who's your provider? Did the Tech. access the same site as you for the speed test? Speed tests can vary from site to site and time of day. How many times did you try the speed test? If more than once were the speeds consistent.

Can you borrow a computer from a neighbor or friend and connect to your modem to ensure it is not your network card or driver issue. I truly can't think of anything else that could have this effect in speed.

Maybe one of the other members may have some advice so please stay tuned.

Donna :)

haujob

haujob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, thanks for helping me.

Provider is comcast. I'm using a desktop. Comcast is the service provider. I'm using the same speedtest site as the tech, and I observed him the entire time he was in my house. I've checked several times, and the service feels slower than other 30Mbs down services I've used in the past. Oh, tech also verified that the connection into the house is working properly, so it's not the physical line into my house.

I'll try another computer on this connection when I can convince someone to bring their laptop over; that's a good idea.

Edited by haujob, 15 May 2011 - 11:50 PM.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi haujob:

As mentioned by DonnaB Speed Test available at various sites is not reliable and varies. To get a correct and precise picture, either you should check modem interface/logs or request MRTG interface from your provider

haujob

haujob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi haujob:

As mentioned by DonnaB Speed Test available at various sites is not reliable and varies. To get a correct and precise picture, either you should check modem interface/logs or request MRTG interface from your provider

I appreciate that this is the case regarding speedtest sites, but a precise measurement of my speed isn't necessary for this exercise. Assume that I am correct that my apparent downstream and upstream are significantly slower that what I'm supposed to be seeing and proceed from there. What would you check next?

Thanks - haujob

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi again haujob,

Now this is a shot in the dark, but I have to ask.

Are you the only one on this connection or is it shared? Does any one else in the house download uTorrents? That could be an issue here if there is and it could be the upstream bandwidth at fault. When the upstream bandwidth is saturated it's much harder for packets to get out of the network, so all your internet seems slower (yes, even download speeds). But then again the Tech would have had issues too. :yes: (thinking out loud) You did test yours at the same time when the Tech was there, correct?

@Rediah, Thank you for your help. This has me baffled! :)

I can't think of any other issue that could cause this other than what I've mentioned so far.

Donna :unsure:

Edited by DonnaB, 16 May 2011 - 04:51 PM.

haujob

haujob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm the only one using this connection, so there's no one running torrents or other background programs which could be hogging the connection.