Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Errors, Can't Access

• Please log in to reply

Judith1974

Judith1974

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a hard drive that I set up as an external hard drive. It was the HD for my Toshiba Satellite; the HD worked fine but the power supply kept frying out on it. I got a new laptop so I parted out the Toshiba. The HD was only 40GB but it was perfect size (so I thought) to organize info for all of my computers. I had music / pics / video spread out on 4 different computers. It all worked fine for transferring pics and videos. Problem was that I had too much music. I have now filled this hard drive to capacity. I did not realize it was possible to overfill a hard drive, but when it reached 0 bytes available space it quit working. My fault. I knew it was close to full & I should transfer stuff out. I wasn't paying close enough attention.
The first thing that happened is that my computer froze and everything completely stopped. Even the song I was listening to. I waited, but after a few hours I just powered it off. (This was probably the big mistake.) When I powered it back on it took a really long time to boot up. I later found that if I remove the external HD it takes the regular amount of time. When I went to access the drive a pop up message said, "Error Performing Inpage Operation"
In System Properties / Advanced, I have changed the Visual Effects to Adjust for Best performance. This did not save much time, but things are working a little faster. I checked the Device Manager. There are no reports of any issues with the drive. Under Properties / Policies I have gone back and forth between Optimize for quick removal & Optimize for perfomance. Does not seem to make any difference.
I have gone through the Command Prompt and run chkdsk F: /r This took 22 hours to run when it finally ended it told me there was not enough disk space to repair cluster.
I ran again chkdsk F: /f This time it took 17 hours before it told me there was not enough disk space. I am currently running it again.
Now it says it cannot open because The Parameter is Incorrect. But I can view the properties now through My Computer which I could not before. I was hoping to see the option to compress the drive but there is no option to do so.
Everything seems to be still there and in tact. I just can't get it to open! I cannot Open or Explore the drive through Windows. I have tried a new cable. It still does not work. I can hear the disk turning like usual. I do not think it is a hardware problem per sey.
My laptop is running XP Pro sp2 The Drive is Toshiba MK4025GAS HDD2190.
Here is what I want to try: I want to try deleting some files to free up some space. I cannot do this through Windows since I cannot access anything inside the F drive. Can I delete files through DOS? It's been 20+ years since I used DOS regularly so I'd rather ask than start guessing.
If y'all happen to know a better way I'd love to hear it! It's been really quiet around here without my music. I've got about half of it backed up but I would really like to have it all back in one place.
Thanks for reading, hope you can help.

Advertisements

the lobo

the lobo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You should try to recover the data from the HDD using ARAX Disk Doctor from
www.disk-doctor.com. First Download the trial version and install it on your computer
run the scan and if you are able to view the data, then you can buy from the site.
It worked for me yesterday after trying lots and lost of software. I figure it might
be a new virus. Hope it works for you.