Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startech PCI-to-PCMCIA card not working

• Please log in to reply

ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey there! I'm new to the Geeks to Go Forums.

The reason that I signed up is that I'm running into problems with the StarTech.com Cardbus/PCMCIA to PCI adapter card.

I purchased the PCI card as a gift for Christmas late last year, because I was interested in inserting PCMCIA compatible devices into my desktop PC. Most recently as last month, I ordered a Matsushita LS-120 SuperDisk drive that will work with the PCMCIA to PCI adapter.

The problem is that the PCMCIA SuperDisk drive was recognised on my Windows XP laptop, however, when I tried to insert the card in the PCMCIA to PCI slot on my Windows 2000 desktop PC, the floppy drive would buzz briefly and the PC speaker would beep up for a moment. However, the PCMCIA to PCI adapter card failed to properly detect the drive. Here's a link to the screenshot for the reason why:

Posted Image

The StarTech.com Cardbus/PCMCIA to PCI adapter card (designed for Windows 98SE to Windows XP) uses a Ricoh RL5C475(II) cardbus controller. And according to the screenshot above, it's only detecting a PCMCIA IDE/ATAPI Controller.

The resources for the controller card have the IRQ set at 07 and the Input/Output Range set at DFF0-DFFF.

Could it mean the following:

1. The drivers for the StarTech.com Cardbus/PCMCIA to PCI adapter card are either not loaded properly or not loaded?
2. The PCMCIA to PCI adapter card is incompatible with this motherboard?
3. The PCMCIA to PCI adapter card is defective?

The motherboard that I'm using is a Intel LaCrosse D865GLCLK (made for Gateway).

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

I hope that you can try to help me on this issue.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You may have answered your own question when you said,

The StarTech.com Cardbus/PCMCIA to PCI adapter card (designed for Windows 98SE to Windows XP)

Did you install Win2K drivers?

ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
According to the user's manual, the PCI-to-PCMCIA card's driver is automatically installed under Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The problem is that it isn't detecting the PCMCIA LS-120 drive at all. I also noticed that the red light on the lower right side of the PCI card is glowing.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't know how those drivers are automatically installed if you have not made them available. I suppose those early versions of Windows could include the drivers, but I suspect they would be pretty generic. I would go out to the card makers site and get the latest drivers, then uninstall the old and install the new.

ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's what I've been thinking. It's not only the LS-120 Superdisk not being recongised, it's the SanDisk Compact Flash PCMCIA adapter that's also not being recongised too.

Windows 98SE and Windows Me are the only OSes that needed to ask for the card's driver. I'm gonna try searching for the Ricoh RL5C475(II) CardBus controller driver to see if it will even work. If not, I maybe suspecting that the Startech.com PCMCIA-to-PCI card maybe incompatible with this motherboard, but I could be wrong.

Update: I finally solve this problem after more than a month of frustration...

I followed this Microsoft article Multiple CardBus Devices Cannot Share IRQs: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279491

From there, I did the following:

1. Located the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters

2. In the Edit menu (or by right cliking), pointed to New, and then clicked on DWORD Value.

3. In the New Value #1 box, I typed DisableIsaToPciRouting and then pressed ENTER.

4. Right-clickd DisableIsaToPciRouting and then clicked Modify.

5. In the Value data box, I typed 0 (zero), and then clicked OK.

When I rebooted the PC finally recongised the PCMCIA LS-120 drive. I'm even planning on ordering some LS-120 SuperDisk drives for Christmas! :)

Anyways, without the DisableIsaToPciRouting being set to 0 or set to 1, PCI devices can't properly share IRQs. This is a registry key that was added in Win2K SP1 and was corrected in Win2K SP3.

When I get the 5.25" floppy drive fixed and working, the drive letter of the LS-120 Superdisk will be changed to drive B:.

Edited by ppgrainbow, 16 May 2011 - 06:39 PM.