Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stumped

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

leon phelps

leon phelps

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

Have a laptop with viruses and malware. Still has XP SP2 on it and I know part of the process is that I NEED SP3 on the laptop.

When I try to run SP3 I get an error about volsnap.sys being used by another application. No BSOD, just the error. I have process explorer and am unsure how to locate the program using the file to disable or kill the process.

I have run malwarebytes three times and am clean. I have run Avast in boot mode twice and am clean. I made sure I do not have a proxy server. Google does still redirect and I have installed both chrome and mozilla to see if a fresh browser install would help me.

I have run OTL with the script on the rootkit page and it worked fine, took a while though.

I have downloaded tdsskill from kaspersky but when I click on the file on the desktop, it does not run.

Thanks for any guidance.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Do you still require assistance? If so please run the below scan for myself and we will go from there, thank you.

• Please download this tool from Microsoft.
  • Double click on MGADiag.exe to run it.
  • Click Continue.
  • The program will run. It takes a while to finish the diagnosis, please be patient.
  • Once done, click on Copy.
  • Open Notepad and paste the contents in. Save this file and post it in your next reply.

leon phelps

leon phelps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I went and installed the newest Kaspersky virus removal tool then lost my complete O/S.

Thanks for the help though.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Fair play and you're welcome. Am I too take it then you do not require any further assistance on my behalf?

leon phelps

leon phelps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
no assistance needed. thanks for the reply. :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
OK. :)

--------------

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.