Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot Stop MSMSGS.exe

• Please log in to reply

j123jam

j123jam

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
My sister has a Dell laptop running Windows 2000. It is about 4 years old, has 256MB RAM, a 40GB HD, and has had numerous problems. Today I took a while to fix some problems that have been vexing her, but I couldn't solve this one. I found that the process "msmsgs.exe" was using significant processing power when the computer was idle, so I looked it up online. Turns out it is related to microsoft's MSN messenger. My sister does not use the messenger service and I know it has had some security flaws in the past (hasn't everything from microsoft?). At any rate, I decided to end the task and remove it from the startup list.
In the task manager I tried to "end process" but was informed that I couldn't do that. It wouldn't stop. I tried doing that through the "Services" control panel as well (found under "administrative tools"), but it still wouldn't work. Then I tried to disable it so it would not start up next time we started the computer, but found that it was already set to "Disable" in the "Services" control. It still starts up and refuses to quit whenever the computer is turned on. How can I remove this pesky processor-hog? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
-Josh

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
You can't stop it in services.msc - you use services.msc to stop the Messenger Service (seperate thing
For stopping Windows Messenger....

Prevent Windows Messenger from automatically starting http://www.dougknox....ger_autorun.htm

Windows Messenger - disable completely http://www.dougknox....p_messenger.htm

Windows Messenger - remove http://www.dougknox....nger_remove.htm

Edited by djgotee, 29 May 2005 - 06:56 PM.

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks djgotee, but unfortunately the links you offered are only good for Windows XP users, and the computer with this problem runs Windows 2000.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Oh yes, sorry but.....

If im not mistaken the gpedt.msc is on windows 2k also? take a look for the process that shuts this down.

otherwise do a search on googl saying "shut off msmsgs.exe win2k"

the answer will be there...

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Sorry to be such as bother djgotee, but when I used your suggestion for a google search, all I found was what I had already tried (using "services" and trying to "stop" the program and "disable" it.
You're right that GPEdit.msc does exist in 2k, but I couldn't find what that website specified. I followed those instructions to the last step only to find that "Windows Messenger" was not listed under "Windows Components." So, any more suggestions?
Thanks Again! :tazz:

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Being unfamilair with win2k in this circumstance, id be as good as you in determining how to shut it off in 2k. Perhaps someone else in this forum knows, or you can continue your search for more websites that list how to do this.

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Have you tried looking in MSCONFIG (Run --> MsConfig)? Spysweeper can also manage startup programs. I assumed you have already tried to uninstall msnmessenger completely? What if you deny the service internet access from within zonealarm? ;)

:tazz:

;)

Attached Thumbnails

• josh_help_screenshot.jpg

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
This is the pic I meant to post :tazz:

Attached Thumbnails

• josh_help_screenshot.jpg

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For Windows Messenger try here

http://grc.com/stm/s...hemessenger.htm

For MSN Messenger

How do I uninstall MSN Messenger if I have problems?To uninstall MSN Messenger:

Click the MSN Messenger icon in the taskbar, and then click Exit.
Click the Windows Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
Select MSN Messenger from the list and click the Add/Remove button.

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks Keith and Tremortime. I'll try "shoot the messenger." In response to your suggestions, tremortime: msconfig doesn't exist in windows 2000, but I tried the equivalent (services). My sister doesn't use ZoneAlarm, so that won't do it, not to mention that will stop it form connecting to the internet (which I'm not sure it does anyways), but I want to shut off the program. And finally, my sister doesn't use spysweeper either, but she does have Adaware and Spybot S&D.
-Josh :tazz:

Top NISS

Top NISS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This will remove msmsgs.exe for good without downloading any software.

Run regedt32,
nav to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService.
This displays the rollback command and rollback parameters for this process.
To execute:
go to run
enter <rollbackcommand><space><rollback parameter><cr>
give the system a reboot and bye bye msmsgs.exe

The syntax for the rollback parameter must be entered exactly as it is displayed in the registry. msmsgs.exe is more of an annoyance then a threat, and should only be removed if it causes a noticeable drain on the system. Hope this helps, post back and let me know

Edited by Top NISS, 05 June 2005 - 07:49 AM.

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It isn't just an annoyance to me. See this post:
http://www.geekstogo...=ST&f=5&t=32045
Apparently, the messenger service is causing my computer to crash on login. Unfortunately, I don't understand what you wrote above.
First off, the key "MessengerService" doesn't exist under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. I did find it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER. When I click it, here's what shows up in the right pane: "<No Name>:REG_SZ:AOL Instant Messenger". So, what does that mean? I don't want to screw up AIM, because I know it is used frequently on this computer. Thanks again!

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
AHHHAAA!!!!! Thanks to Greyknight17, I realized my McAfee virusscan hasn't been updated in a year. Turn out, the reason there are problems with the msmsgs.exe file is that it has been infected with a virus. So, I have quarantined the file, but I need to know where to obtain a backup of the file. Any suggestions?

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK, thanks to help in this forum as well as others I posted, my problems have been solved (or so it seems). Thanks to everyone who contributed!

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
cant u stop the process by running safemode and running killbox.exe