Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Windows Can't check for updates"

• Please log in to reply

mistypoison

mistypoison

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So my computer last updated on the 14/05/2010, It seems it first updated on the 26/08/2009 "Windows update agent 7.2.6001.788". Whenever I try to update it says "cannot find any new updates or failed to update" Its really starting to annoy me now, since I feel like my computer really need an update XD.....ertt.jpg

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi mistypoison,

What Operating System (OS) does this concern and did you receive any Error Codes on the failed updates. If you did, providing the Error Code will help me guide you better.

Edit:
Also, please download the System Update Readiness Tool. Choose the version of Windows you're running and follow the instructions in the link.

After completion the tool will create a CheckSur.log report in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder.

Please follow the path above to retrieve the log then copy and paste the log in your next reply along with the type of OS you are running and the Error Code.

Thank you!

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 16 May 2011 - 09:02 PM.

mistypoison

mistypoison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows Vista 32-bit, It says "firefox cannot connect" On that link you gave me when I try to download

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ooops! I apologize. I should have mentioned that you'll need to use Internet Explorer (IE) to download the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821).

The link above is the direct link for your version of Windows Vista 32-bit. Once the tool has completed try to update again.

Do you recall any Error Codes that were presented to you in the past when trying to update?

:)

Edited by DonnaB, 17 May 2011 - 05:41 AM.