Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Novice geek has a question

• Please log in to reply

nerfication

nerfication

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I hope someone(s) here will help me even if you seen my problem a 100 times.
I am not an expert at computer repair but I have fixed a few over the years.

Right now I got this gateway 2000 that I want to use for playing OLD 1990's games on. The cpu is an Intel Pentium III 600 Mhz, Tabor 3 BX motherboard uses an Intel®/Phoenix BIOS, Made in 09-12-1999 and it came new with windows 98 installed. It was working when I got it but the hard drive was having software issues, and being over 10 years old I thought it best to replace the HD. So I bought a new WD1600 IDE or EIDE (not sure). I knew about barrier limitations to access larger HD's, BUT Western Digital EZ-DRIVE utility is supposed to solve it. But it did not. So now I am looking for a solution.

After many hours searching & learning, I now know that I have a promise ultra 66 PCI card controlling the HD. But I read somewhere it can only support up to 128 GB. So I thought about putting a promise ultra 133 PCI card in it, but this idea oped up more questions which I am here now asking.

My question is how do I find out what ATA speed the motherboard uses?
And, would I benefit from installing a 133 card or should I buy a smaller HD and use the 66 already in the computer?
Or is there a better option?

Thanks

Edited by nerfication, 16 May 2011 - 04:50 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If me, I would temporarily install that drive as a secondary drive into another computer, then partition the drive into smaller chunks and format using FAT32.

What OS will end up on this system?

Note that generally, ATA, IDE, EIDE, UltraATA and PATA all refer to the same interface.

nerfication

nerfication

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for the help.
but why would I want to do that? I mean, how is that going to figure out what ATA speed the motherboard uses?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If that is an IDE or EIDE drive, it will work on that ATA motherboard.

Remember, Google is your friend. Tabor 3 BX motherboard The first hit will take you to the motherboard specs. Your board supports Ultra-DMA33.

The reason to put it in another computer (or enclosure attached to another PC) that supports larger drives is because there, you can create, for example, two 80Gb partitions. Even though they will be on the same physical drive, Windows 98 will see them as two drives, both under the 127Gb limit.

nerfication

nerfication

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I really appreciate your help. I have very little experience repairing & upgrading. If not for other people helping me, I would have to put this computer in the trash.

So I think I understand what your saying. And it is genius.
Just to be sure I understand,. Your saying I can format this new 160 GB drive in fat 32 on a computer that supports larger drives. Partition it to 2 80Gb. Then put it in the gateway and install windows 98. correct?
and the gateway won't have a problem installing win 98 on a pre-formatted drive?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yes that is correct. And no, Windows does not care where the drive is formatted, as long as it is in a format it supports. Windows 98 does not support NTFS formatted drives for example.