Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop runs very slow

• Please log in to reply

DonRS

DonRS

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a number of Dell D400's that I maintain for my grand kids. One of them suddenly began to start and run very slow. I eliminated viruses and corrupt programs as the problem and even replaced the HDD with one from another working D400 twin with XP pro. I also re-flashed the Bios. When I turn it on the Fan immediatley starts running at high speed and never slows. The laptop takes about 5-7 min to boot and about the same to go from site to site or page to page off line. It took about 30 min to load Malwarebytes on the original HDD. The same is true in safe mode without wi-fi on. It doesn't feel particulary hot even after it's been on a while. I replaced the memory with known good memory. It connects to wi-fi and everything seems OK except the fan speed and slowness. Any suggestions?

Advertisements