Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Install

• Please log in to reply

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Is it possible to install Windows 7 on a computer with nVidia Geforce2 MX 400? Old video yes I know. I ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it checked out okay. The ethernet thing for internet thing... I forgot what its called, but it supports my internet thing, the audio chip is also supported. It gave a ? for the GPU, and Aero doesn't work for it (Don't really care for Aero) and some programs like Outlook don't work. I read on Wikipedia that the main thing for the GPU is for the Aero (For Windows 7), but thats optional.

Basically, every hardware thing passed except for the card, which once again, gave a ? on it.

Specs
Windows XP Home Edition (Nothing important on it)
256 MB SDRAM (Upgrading it to 1.25GB by next week, installing Windows 7 after I upgrade)
nvidia geforce2 MX 400 Graphics Card
80GB HDD (Thats all I need)

Edited by DarkSchalie, 16 May 2011 - 11:14 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it checked out okay

It gave a ? for the GPU

I'm confused. You say the Upgrade Advisor reported all is "okay" but then say there is a "?" for the GPU. A "?" does not sound "okay" to me.

A sure indication if the hardware supports Windows 7 or not is if there are Windows 7 drivers for it. I would look on the card makers site for Windows 7 drivers for the nVidia Geforce2 MX 400.

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

I ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it checked out okay

It gave a ? for the GPU

I'm confused. You say the Upgrade Advisor reported all is "okay" but then say there is a "?" for the GPU. A "?" does not sound "okay" to me.

A sure indication if the hardware supports Windows 7 or not is if there are Windows 7 drivers for it. I would look on the card makers site for Windows 7 drivers for the nVidia Geforce2 MX 400.

I searched on Google, and I found this. http://www.hardwareh...indows-7-a.html

Someone made a driver for the graphics card that is compatible with Windows 7. People reported it works.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It looks like a, "try at your own risk" thing, to me. And some times that's what you have to go with when trying to keep legacy hardware alive for a bit longer. Do make sure you thoroughly scan the download before opening/running it. I would create a System Restore point first too.

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
The files are OKAY :unsure: . Should I just go ahead and use this driver? Still waiting for Radio Shack to re-supply the memory sticks.

Of course they go out-of-stock when we need them :) .

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Again, that would be at your own risk, but I would probably give them a go.

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
One question, when I add the RAM, where should I ground?

This computers old, and I'm don't know if the case is actually metal. Is it possible to ground yourself with a screwdriver( Meaning, hold on to it while working on the insides)? If not, what household tools could I use to ground myself to?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

This computers old, and I'm don't know if the case is actually metal.

I have never seen a case that did not have a metal (steel or aluminum) chassis or frame on the inside. First, ensure the computer is unplugged from the wall. Then you just want to touch bare (not painted) metal. This does not "ground" you, but it puts you and your computer at the "same potential". When there is no "difference of potential", voltage will not jump (arc or spark). And that static discharge is what you want to avoid.

If by some odd chance yours is plastic, touch the bare case of the power supply. Alternatively, you can buy a anti-static wrist-strap and connect it to a ground point on the chassis.

Other precautions - work on a wood cutting board or table - not a carpet or furniture. The RAM only goes in the slot one way. Make sure you have the keys lined up. Do not touch the electrical contacts.

Before closing up, press on all wire connections to make sure they are tight and of course, make sure the interior is clean of heat trapping dust.

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Is it alright to work on it while on regular wooden floor? I'm checking Radio Shack tomorrow and see if they have the RAM Modules in stock.

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
You there Digerati?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmmm, the site had a glitch last night, it seems my response disappeared. Either that, or I forgot to press the Add Reply button. :) Sorry.

Yes, wooden floors are fine. You just don't want to be on anything that will generate static as you wiggle and squirm around, or shuffle your feet.

Here is my canned text you can use to make sure you are selecting the correct RAM. You can then take that info to RS. RS I am sure has good RAM, warrantied for life, like most RAM. And while you can walk out the store with your RAM, it will likely cost more than on-line, or even some of the discount stores (Walmart, Target, K-Mart) or consumer electronics stores like Best Buy, and Fry's.

These popular RAM makers have auto-scanning and/or manual entry RAM wizards to help you determine which RAM is compatible with your motherboard. For manual entry, enter/select the PC or motherboard make and model number and the wizard will list compatible RAM.

Crucial - Memory Advisor
Corsair - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)
GeIL - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Kingston - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
Mushkin - Advisor
OCZ - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Patriot - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
PNY - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
SuperTalent - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)

The following retailers have auto-scanners and manual wizards. They sell brand name and/or "house" brand (re-branded) RAM.

Newegg - Memory Configurator System Tool
MemoryStock - Upgrade Configurator
18004Memory – Configurator
4AllMemory - Memory advisor (automatic and manual)
TigerDirect - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Oops, I forgot to tell you. I went to Radio Shack last night, and they don't carry it, and neither the rest of the island of Maui). (Go Hawaii...) However, they also could do D2U (Direct To You), and the good thing is it counts as a store purchase, so you could return it if you needed too. I ordered 2 sticks. Sadly, it costs $3 more with D2U since the RAM is direct from warehouse in Texas. Meaning I spent $6 more, not much though, but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep some Legacy computers up-to-par with todays technology. :yes:

Already tested the memory with Crucial before hand, but I couldn't tell you this because it was late (about 9PM) and I needed some shut-eye.

The computers memory info is - PC133 133MHz 168-Pin SDRAM. With 3 slots, 1 already in with 256MB.

The stick I bought was Centon PC133 133MHz 168-Pin 512MB SDRAM. Perfect fit!

Hurray for RS still carrying SDRAM :) :unsure: , since the worlds now ruled by DDR (1,2,3, soon 4)

Should I also take this chance to clean the insides with compressed air?

Irrelevant, but something I wanted to say : The store cashier told me as I was purchasing was that his 8 year old computer is still able to run high-end games, and it just needed a RAM upgrade. :) . Probably also upgraded his Graphics Card, Processor, through cleaning of the inside, careful use)

Edited by DarkSchalie, 21 May 2011 - 06:35 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Should I also take this chance to clean the insides with compressed air?

Always! Just be careful to keep static at bay, and don't see how fast the fans can spin - compressed air can spin them faster than designed, and that will harm the bearings.

Game designers don't want gamers with old systems or less capable system to be left out so they design their games to run on them too. But for the "best", most detailed, most featured gaming, you need current, faster hardware.

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Just be careful to keep static at bay, and don't see how fast the fans can spin - compressed air can spin them faster than designed, and that will harm the bearings.

Not sure why I'd spin them, unless "You Spin Me Right Round" is playing :)

Game designers don't want gamers with old systems or less capable system to be left out so they design their games to run on them too. But for the "best", most detailed, most featured gaming, you need current, faster hardware.

Makes sense, because one of my games becomes VERY HQ at Max Settings, but even cardboard chips like Pentium 4 (Before Dual-Core came) or Intel Atom has the potency to run at low settings with decent FPS. Games like Crysis 2 however, really need gaming computers, or an XBOX 360 or PS3 if your a console gamer. This laptop has "meh" specs, but they aren't Alienware. :yes: :unsure:

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
It's been 3 days, and I still haven't gotten it. The clerk said about a week though. Very eager to install the RAM :)