Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows explorer has encountered problem needs to close

• Please log in to reply

Pokerj

Pokerj

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Lost my desktop and unable to access many programs. I entered thru task manager and used browse to activate some programs. downloaded Malbyte and ran quick scan and loceated 3 infections in registry and deleted them. Ran full scan nothing found. Keep encountering error message Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close Error message is in Topic Description. Some programs can open thru Task Manager but others such as Word cannot open. Can open HP photo gallery. I can insert CD and open thru Task Manager. I have Windows XP and it seewms any program within Windows cannot open. How do I correct this? I am not at expert level so I struggle through using Task Manager for on line service but need access to text documents in Word program. Would appreciate any assistance.
Following is the error message as best as I could encode it.

Windows explorer has encountered problem needs to close

Explorer.exe appVer6.0.2900.5512 ModnameDeskBar.DLL Mod. Ver. 2.0.0.12 offset
0000608|

Thanks,
Joe V.

Advertisements

Pokerj

Pokerj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Following is an update on my problem. I used several Malware programs and nothing worked. As mentioned I had to do everything thru Task Manager so at times it was difficult. I finally decided to remove certain Programs and reinstall them. Since AOL is usually a big culprit I started there. It turns out the Darkbar.DLL is one their programs used with IE. I got mislead because the error was Explorer.exe so I thought it was within Windows and was looking in the wrong place. Once I reinstalled AOl things went back to normal. TotalPC Health was not helpful and very difficult to contact for live chat unless you paid. I will file for refund. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Pokerj