Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reseting Windows 7 Folder Security Permissions

• Please log in to reply

appolonaire

appolonaire

• Pip
  • 3 posts
SYSTEM DESCRIPTION:
Linksys/T-Mobile Hot Spot (wireless) ROUTER with Ethernet connections to 1) Home Phone, 2) iMAC PowerPC/OS X Leopard, 3) PC/MSI K8N MBoard/AMD Athlon 64 Processor/2gig RAM/Windows 7 32bit and 4) IOMEGA HOME MEDIA NETWORK HARD DRIVE (herein "NHD").

PERTINENT SYSTEM STATUS:
The NHD contains 1) a "BACKUPS" folder with sub-folders containing scheduled & unscheduled backups and system images from both computers and 2) other specific folders e.g. MOVIES.

THE PROBLEM:
Upon attempting to open the "BACKUPS" folder on the NHD from the PC, as User/Administrator, a WINDOWS SECURITY panel opens 1) requesting a user name and NETWORK password to the NHD, 2) listing the PC name as a DOMAIN name and 3) a red "X" - "Access Denied".

CONFLICTS & FACTS:
1) As User/Administrator, I have not set any "folder" security/passwords, 2) I can open, view, edit and delete any of the other folders on the NHD from the PC and can open, view, edit and delete ALL folders from the iMAC , 3) I have NO domain setup, only a WORK GROUP name, 4) Network access protection is OFF.

WIN 7 RESPONSE UPON SELECTING "BACKUPS" FOLDER PROPERTIES ON THE PC:
General Tab: ♦File Type > Share
Network Tab: ♦Computer Name > the NHD ?? ♦Computer Type > Windows NT 4.9 Server ??
♦Work Group > "WORKGROUP" (WRONG - The Control Panel System Info shows the true Work Group Name)
Security Tab: ♦Object Name > \\Iomega-....\Backups (I set NO folder securities)
"You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings."
Previous Versions Tab: None

THE ABOVE PROBLEM BEGAN RECENTLY AND UNEXPECTENTLY! :)

Advertisements