Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows delayed write failed

• Please log in to reply

yelbers

yelbers

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a USB 2.0 external drive attached to my XP SP3 system

I keep getting a Windows error for it (SimpleTech 1TB) I only have about 250G used up so far
I have been getting this pop up for around a year and a half.
"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file J:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Once the error message pops ups, I can access the drive; it shows that data exists via properties but none of the data is actually accessible. As soon as the message shows up i can simply move my mouse over a folder and it says 'Folder is empty'.

When I turn the external drive off and turn it back on using the switch on the back (or reboot the system entirely), the drive will be fine for a while, then the message pops up again even if I haven't accessed the drive. No matter what I try it never fails to pop up again.

I have run diagnostics on it with System Mechanic. I have also run chkdsk /f at startup and everything checks out OK.
I have messed around in the System Pages settings but page memory is not the problem..I have defraged the drive itself and the internal one as well. I have checked to make sure that all of my drivers are installed properly and even changed the wires that plug the disc into the tower. I have run virus scans from many different programs and nothing shows.

I am helpless at this point and cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars to get it fixed..

Anyway the computer itself is around 7 years old and running on an operating system that was installed 2 years ago after a complete format. The external drive is around 2 years old maybe 3. I have a Saphire graphics card and 2 disc drives 1 of which is DVDRW and the other is CDRW. Not sure if any of this is related but at this point I am almost ready to give up so if anyone has any help whatsoever even a link that could help, please feel free to share it.

Advertisements

yelbers

yelbers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Now my computer is shutting down randomly on its own and it wont run disk checking on startup for the external drive. Also when i opened it last night the message popped up but it let me play a movie from the drive...now everything on my computer that i run starts crashing for no reason.

Btw if anyone actually reads this i have another question...is there a way to clear page pool memory every so often without restarting?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello yelbers.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :yes:
:) :unsure:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

yelbers

yelbers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
As soon as i got the message my computer started crashing over and over again just rebooting itself. It wouldn't let me even click anything or it would reboot so i had to buy a new internal hard drive. I guess that was the problem...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So everything has been fine ever since a new internal HDD?

yelbers

yelbers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well I would love to say yes but unfortunately it is not...My only problem is very small. The fan inside the tower is really annoying me. It comes on for a few seconds then off and on and off and over and over again. Its been doing this ever since I installed Ubuntu 11.04

Don't get me wrong the software is great and all the extra space on my new Western Digital PATA (or IDE I think) 7200RPM 500G internal drive.

All I did was take out the old one, put the new one in, and install linux. After it was installed I had trouble with the display. I finally fixed it when I was able to run a check for new drivers. THAT problem was simple a missing driver for my SAPPHIRE ATI Graphics card.

The only problem now is the fan. Any suggestions?

Edited by yelbers, 20 May 2011 - 02:58 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Replace the fan?