Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Security Alerts still OFF after XP Total Security infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is a possibility - I do not use media centre myself but I feel there should be somewhere within the programme options to set the path - still looking

Advertisements

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Ok thankyou very much.

I'll check back later / tomorrow and see how you get along.

In the meantime I'll report back if I discover aything myself.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

When you try to set up the TV signal, you may receive the following error message:
Tuner Not Found

Do you get this message when you try the TV ?

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
No.

If I go to settings - > TV and click I get:
"The tuner hardware is either malfunctioning or is not installed. Please ensure that both the tuner hardware and a valid tuner hardward drivers are installed."

Otherwise - all error messages are as described prevously.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets see if the MS answer works

Download to your desktop dotnet 1.1
Install from the desktop, if it states you allready have this then from Control panel add/remove programmes uninstall MS .net framework 1.1
Then reinstall from the desktop

We may need to re-install the second .net framework to complete the fix, lets hope not

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I had to uninstall 1.1 but now the 1.1 new version wont install as it says it is an ugrade and the original file is missing.

Am I missing a 1.0 or something...

ETA Ok I installed - Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1.
Same errors when I try and run MCE.
:unsure:

---

I just spoke to my partner about this MCE issue which cropped up yesterday and he has a working c drive back up image from february which we can just use as a replacement. Maybe this is easier than you continuing to try and fix the registry???

Using the old clone drive would then just mean mean a few hours of running MS updates and installing the new Firewall again, updating antivirus/malware etc and any other software updates.....

(god this makes me loves my MACBOOK so much ... I loathe windows sometimes.... :) )
wHAT

Edited by jems, 23 May 2011 - 12:21 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It would probably be easier that way than trying to chase down this error

This was before the infection ?

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yes.

It's a pain in terms of the updates and software we've installed since Feb BUT since we're not sure how the MCE arragement has been altered since cleaning up the infection I agree it's probably a lot easier. Especially for you who have been very patient up to now! :unsure: Either way a bit of quality time with the PC is coming up for me and my partner so I think we'll gpo ahead with the clone.

Thanks so much for your help. I guess we'll never know why the MCE went wonky. I'll be sure and follow all the "how to avoid infection" guidelines once we get the pc working again so as to (hopefully) avoid the XP Security infection getting back in.

Thanks again so much for your time! :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It was my pleasure - a shame that this last bit was being such a pain

But keep safe now - just remember the safety tips and you should be OK :)

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Indeed it is! And will do!! Hopefully you won't see me back for a while. :)

Thanks again!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.