Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager / multimedia audio controller

• Please log in to reply

irzapper

irzapper

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: Please Help,

I just intalled a soundblaster card on my windows XP system and only can get sound to the front channel speaker and not the rear.

The only issue I see is a "yellow exclamation mark" in the Device Manager tab under "other devices"/ "multimedia audio controller", which when clicked says "drivers not present, code 28". This yellow exclamation mark will not go away. I can disable it, then it turns to a big "red x".

Ultimately my sound system does not work properly, and I can't help but think that this missing driver fo the "multimeida audio controller" is somehow the problem?

Thank you for any support on this, please help.

Robert 05/29/05

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, which soundblaster did you install?
it sounds like you need to add the correct drivers, then once thats happy, configure the card for surround.

did the card come with a drivers disc?

irzapper

irzapper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

OK, which soundblaster did you install?
it sounds like you need to add the correct drivers, then once thats happy, configure the card for surround.

did the card come with a drivers disc?

View Post

yes it did, Soundblaster "live 24", a cd.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
did you install those drivers?

if the disc has a driver installation program on it, use that. if not, go to device manager, select the card, hit the update driver button. direct it to look at disc, it should find the info it needs.

irzapper

irzapper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Tried that, doesn't work. In device manager, when I try to update the drivers, it doesn't get anything from the soundblaster CD. In device manager, it says this "hardware" is missing from PCI slot "0"

irzapper

irzapper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Actually it says the drivers for this device are not installed. It says the device is located at "PCI bus 0, device 31, function 5" Then when I try to update the driver with the soundblaster Live-25 cd, it says the drivers for this issue are not on the CD.

I'm still trying to figure out if the issue in the device manager section (see original post for my details) is causing the problems with not being able to get sound at the rear speakers.

Please help if possible :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
thats really odd.
heres what Id like you to try. first, go to soundblaster.com and grab the latest drivers for your card.
remove the device in device manager, then shut down. remove the new card, and reboot. lets see if everything is OK in device manager with that card out.
if it is, reinstall the soundblaster, try a different PCI slot.
on boot up, the found new hardware wizard should start up. point it to the downloaded drivers.
let me know how it goes.

irzapper

irzapper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'll try that and get back to you. Thank you very much for your help, it greatly appreciated.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just a quick thought, sorry for butting in again Audioboy, but does the motherboard have an integrated sound card as well?
If so, then it sounds like the onboard card hasn't been disabled in the bios & is appearing as the unknown device.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I was gonna get to that next. he can actually get it up and running with both active...then I was gonna have him disable onboard, if its on now.
the PCI error was odd, so thats why I asked him to go through all that.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry, I'll butt out then!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
no worries samm! you know I always appreciate yer thoughts...

irzapper

irzapper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Audioboy, (and SAMM) your both right on, :tazz:

My motherboard does have an onboard intergrated sound card.

I originally had looked in my bios to try to disable before installing the soundblaster, but couldn't find the place to do that. Any ideas? I'm just getting back from being out a few hours so I haven't tried your last fix Audioboy, but as I just logged on, I see SAMM and yourself had concurred on disabling the onboard card before installing the PCI soundblaster card......Should I try that before your performing all the moves in your last solution? ? ?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
sure, wont hurt to do that now. will help eliminate any confusion around that vs the soundblaster actually (props samm!)

the onboard will be under integrated peripherals. that may be a submenu under pnp/pci, or something similar. poke around you'll find it.

irzapper

irzapper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm sorry, I have no idea where to start with what you described Audioboy. I sure appreciate your advice, but your lightyears ahead of me.

How do I do what you suggested?