Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound after power outage

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
After a recent power outage (computer was on when power went off), when I booted my computer up again, there was no sound and the speaker icon did not appear in the taskbar systray like it usually does. I tried to troubleshoot with my limited computer abilities by looking the Sounds and Audio Devices>Hardware>Properties. There was a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it next to this device: Intel® 82801 BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller. Also a message "This device cannot start (Code 10)". I don't have any disks for this computer (HP Pavilion 750n desktop running Windows XP as an OS). I wanted to know if this is likely a driver (if I even have one anymore) or a sound card problem. I already tried to update the drivers as is recommended on many troubleshooting Web sites. All this did was change the Intel® 82801 BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller to Sound Max Integrated Digital Audio. Also doing a system restore was ineffective. Some troubleshooting sites mentioned re-setting the BIOS, but I don’t know how or what to do about them. If a sound card is shorted because of the power outage, this probably wouldn’t help, would it? What can I do about it (if anything) and could the power outage have caused it? I've run a virus scan with it and nothing discovered. Also nothing with CCleaner, Malwarebytes or SpyBot. Would getting an external sound card work around this, or is my sound system just shot? Attached is a photo of the inside of my tower with a red arrow pointing to the connector where I plug in the speaker jack.

Attached Thumbnails

• computer inside 2.JPG

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Uninstall the sound which has the yellow exclamation point in device manager and restart your computer. Windows might be able to reinstall the sound for you. If this doesn't work.

Download Everest system diagnostics free from here http://majorgeeks.co...d.php?det=4181. Run the program and find out what exactly what your sound is. Whether it's a sound card or on-board sound, make, model etc. Once you've found this out using Everest. Search and install the driver you need for your sound.

Edited by MikeMason, 17 May 2011 - 02:23 PM.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Okay - I ran EVEREST. Here is a screen shot (click on the thumbnail to enlarge). Since I'm not too computer savvy, please interpret. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• EVEREST screen.JPG

Edited by debodun, 17 May 2011 - 03:19 PM.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
If it still too small to see, I opened Multimedia, then PCI/PnP Audio. One device is listed:
Intel 82801 BA ICH2 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-5] Type PCI

However, I'm not sure what to download - both the chipset AND audio driver or what and where to download. Sorry to be such a pain. I'm certainly no computer expert.

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Can you post a picture of your motherboard details from Everest please? Does your computer have a make and model number?

Edit: Pictures are loading ok now. I turned off my pop-up blocker.

Edited by MikeMason, 17 May 2011 - 03:28 PM.

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Try this for now.

http://www.intel.com...support/detect/

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If the driver scan does not work we need to try something else to get the proper info on the board.

Lets see if we can get some system information.

Download and install PC Wizard 2010

Run the program and it will analyze your computer and then display the results.
In the upper left hand corner click on the floppy icon.
You will get a save as screen.
Change the range bullet "only this selection" to be "selected category".
Make sure that text is selected for format.
Click on ok and you will be given a spot to save it to.

Attach it to your response.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
My computer is a HP Pavilion 750n. Here is a screen shot of the motherboard data.

Attached Thumbnails

• motherboard.JPG

Edited by debodun, 17 May 2011 - 04:01 PM.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I ran that link Mike posted to updating Intel drivers, but when I did, it said "This device is unknown or unsupported". Here a screenshot of the PC Wizard scan and the Device Manager showing the problem

Attached Thumbnails

• PC Wizard.JPG
  • Device Manager.JPG

Edited by debodun, 18 May 2011 - 06:38 AM.