Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can XP secuirty be breached.

• Please log in to reply

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
while away this weekend my stupid sister install system mechanic and ran all in one.

Left my installation un bootabale and when xp loading screen finished was left with an xp screen with no logon accounts. I suspected SM disabled a vital service so looked under the windows recovery conole for assistence.

Installation main on the original C drive blue screens now nv4_mini.sys so instead decided to cut my losses and reformat.

the new installation thrown countless errors and unable to do XYZ file copying moving did how ever make a bootable copy.

I have managed to recover every file i need accept one IMPORTANT folder. It was made private.

currently i have 2 XP installations on the C/D drive

Installation 1 - wont boot + blue screens. Has Two admin accounts. One of them have managed to recover all files the other account folders was made private. so currently getting access denied in safe mode as well

installation 2 failed on countless files how ever allows me access to XP and both drives (even though one folder is access denied)

what are my options?

I am quite happy killing and reformatting every thing but need tis c drives files.

Advertisements

ident

ident

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
Drivers are failing to install. Not even displaying right names under device manager.

http://www.nvidia.co...-driver-uk.html is my graphics card but just labeled as @display@e

Oh and both blue screens from first installation are

(1) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

(2) DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL nv4_mini.sys

Edit question:

Is it possible now i have created this temp installation to be able to run system restore for the non bootable partition? If i was able to turn back the clock a day for that installation then every thing would be ok.

Edited by ident, 18 May 2011 - 12:05 AM.

ident

ident

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
After talking to some peeps in bleepingcomputer IRC & here i was going to mount a live cd to a USB.

How ever i found this free tool http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/

Seem to of got all my files back.