Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Portal 2 Causes BSoD?

• Please log in to reply

newguy298

newguy298

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
It says that my display driver has failed and recovered, after the screen flashes black then back to normal. It does this about 6 times, then freezes, and after a few minutes I get a BSoD. I get this error when starting the computer back up after logging in.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8003CDE010
BCP2: FFFFFA6002E2A530
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 000000000000000D
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini051711-01.dmp
C:\Users\HP\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-241333-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\HP\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC9D3.tmp.version.txt

I am running Vista on an HP Pavillion dv5- 1235dx Entertainment Notebook PC. The video card is a family chipset that is apparently 1759MB but is failing to run Portal 2. I have run Portal 1 on it before in the past. What really confuses me is the fact that the first time I played Portal 2 on this computer, that it played flawlessly. Every time I have tried after that I have gotten errors. Originally single player would just lag in audio and video, then crash steam. Now it gives a BSoD. Multiplayer gave me BSoDs from the start however. (I did not try to run multiplayer on the initial startup where single player worked) Any ideas?

System requirements lab says "You Have: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family"
and also says that I fail the video card test, however it contradicts itself here

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 128 MB 1.7 GB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 2.0 4.0
Vertex Shader version 2.0 4.0
I pass or surpass all of the requirements, and all the other sections are green. Why can't I play Portal 2?

Also I updated the drivers the day Portal 2 came out.

Edited by newguy298, 19 May 2011 - 04:11 PM.

Advertisements

Helger

Helger

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
maeby bec of gfx card?

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
One, be sure that you meet all requirements. Your computer is only as fast as your worst component. Take that setting to heart. Second, I have a feeling that is may be with your driver. While you seem to have an extremely good card...almost a 2GB card for graphics, Intel cards are well known for their wonderful....ness. Before I jump to a conclusion and say you should replace cards, I highly suggest you check your drivers and be sure that outside variables are not interfering with your gaming experience.

I am simply throwing out the fact that Intel chipsets for graphics do not like to play well with games. Guild Wars has hated Intel chipsets from the beginning and they will not even let you play with an Intel.