Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download AVG free

• Please log in to reply

tigerdog

tigerdog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the free version of AVG and have been happy with it, so I recommended it to my girl friend and tried to coach her through the installation over the phone, simultaneously downloading the newest 2011 version at home at the same time. Mine went fine, winding up with an icon on the desktop. Hers seemed to be going fine, but when she clicked on the "save" button, there was no pop up box asking her where to save the download to. Mine had a box pop up that let me save to desktop. She said that there was a message on the bottom of her screen stating "downloads complete", but there was no icon to be found anywhere.

We were going through this because of what sounds like a virus that she picked up that hijacks her to unwanted locations on the net.

Advertisements

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I would try to download it on a flash drive and rename the file of the install. Once you do that, try to install it. IMO, I like Avast! a bit more due to higher detection rates, but whatever works I guess.

Gr1ff1n

Gr1ff1n

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Gr1ffi1n,

Only trained helpers may give any malware removal advice on our forums, and that includes advising people to run a scanner in order to remove any possible malware.

Edited by sari, 25 July 2011 - 08:14 AM.
Removed malware removal advice

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
tigerdog,

There should be a downloads folder that contains the installation program. There is one within the Documents folder, and Firefox also contains a downloads folder - you don't say what browser she is using. However, if she's having a problem with a redirect virus, AVG alone will not be enough to resolve the issue. She can try our self-help guide found here, or she can follow the directions here and start a topic in the malware removal forum. I actually would recommend having her start a topic, as not all of the redirect viruses are easily removed.