Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help setting up new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

dyslexic

dyslexic

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just went out and bought a new 160GB Western Digital hard drive from best buy, 7200 RPM and 8MB cache for $29.99 today (after rebates). Now I am trying to decide which of the endless paths I should take to make the best out of this drive.

Right now I have a 120GB 5400rpm drive installed that has windows and all my files. Theres about 15GB free right now.

I definately want my new one to be the primary drive that has XP on it. From what I've read on other sites I think i should also have my programs on that drive too.

I have a LOT of data files with anime, music, movies, etc. That is continuosly growing in size. The main reason I needed a new drive in the first place.

Also I am going to put a linux OS on one of the drives and have a dual boot.

With this info, how should i setup the partitions, and what files should go on what partition on what drive and how should i go about doing this? :tazz:

Thanks you so much in advance.
-cixelsyD

Edited by dyslexic, 29 May 2005 - 08:59 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
The new drive will be quite a bit faster, so it should be the boot drive. Perhaps three partitions. One for Windows only about 10gb, one for Linux (size depends on your distro and applications), and the remaining space in a partition for applications. Use the old drive for data (music, mpegs, etc), just one partition.

dyslexic

dyslexic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I need a free program that can resize partitions without losing data, like partitionmagic, but free. All thats on here right now is XP so i doesnt matter if theres a 1% chance of messing up.

Because HP sucks I am only able to get XP on here if i let it reformat the drive by itself, deleting any partitions i created before. And now theres only 1 big partition.

After I find and use the program to resize this partition it would be nice to find a way to get this new xp to have the same settings as the one on my other drive. I have made lots of changes to the settings and i don't want to redo them.