Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice on purchasing a new desktop

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
There are so may things going wrong with my current desktop (HP Pavilion 750n) like not being able to fully boot when Ethernet adapter plugged into USB port, no sound now for a weeks since a power outage, and frequent buzzing from power supply fan. I may have to bite the bullet and get a new system. I am not looking forward to setting up a new system and having to manually transfer all the folders and files, install security, etc. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a good reliable system to do my online antiques research, send and receive emails, store photos and music files and play some simple online games. I can't buy online since I have no credit card. The only other choice is to buy from a big box store. The ones closest to me are Best Buy, Staples or WalMart. Best Buy has the most to choose - eMachines, Compaq, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus and Gateway. What should I look for in a new computer by way of RAM, processor speed, what brand of processor (most I looked at had AMD Athlon or Intel Pentium)? Also, which store would be best to buy from?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi debodun
Some additional info please, what is your maximum budget, would you prefer a laptop or a desktop?
The HP Pavilion 750n was released circa 2002 - 2003 I believe so the chances are your computer is
due for retirement anyhow, your symptoms are already suggesting it with a buzzing from the PSU being
a worrying sign, I suggest you only use the computer if absolutely necessary because if the PSU blows
it can take other major components with it including your HDD with all your data stored on it.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I probably want to stay under $500. I want to get a desktop and I only need the tower (I already have a flat-screen monitor). Last year I bought an external HD and transferred what I was really interested in saving to that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Free shipping so it is as good as on your doorstep http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883103352
Cheaper options for me are too slow :)