Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

12v Rail Reads Low

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Well, I just built a new rig and it seems as though some of my sensor data is out of spec. I received the same results with both CPUID and SIW. The weird thing is that this machine runs like a champ. I just don't see how the 12v rail could be 4v low and it still run properly. I also see that the 5v seems to be high as well.

Any thoughts?

Posted Image

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What is your power supply's make and model number please? Also what motherboard and processor do you have?

Most machines have an option to read the voltage in the BIOS and these can vary dramatically from what the figures are reported in Windows. IF you can read these in your BIOS could you post those readings as well please?

A +12v rail running at 8v, this only realistically powers the processor and the odd graphics card or two so you may find, since that's an Intel Sandy Bridge build it's a throttle device to limit power when the machine sits there doing nothing.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Hi Neil. As always, you are correct. :)

The motherboard is an MSI P67A-C43 (B3), paired with an Intel i5 2500k chip and a Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W. Last night before I read your response, I went on a "google search fest" looking to solve the problem. For some reason, it seems as though the hardware diagnostic tools don't seem to read the voltage sensors correctly on this board.

I found a utility from MSI that will allow me to make adjustments and read the sensors and decided to try that. It worked properly and everything seems to be within spec.

Posted Image

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I do have another question that's somewhat unrelated to the power supply if you don't mind. The system has 3 case fans, one in the front, one in the rear and one at the top. The one at the rear has the motherboard fan header connection, but the ones at the top and front do not. They use the standard molex power connection. Is there anyway to buy an adapter so I can plug them into one of the fan headers on this board and edit the speed with the system?

I'm able to turn down the CPU fan and the rear fan, but can't do anything about the others. I also can't seem to find a way to force the system to adjust fan speed based on temperature. I find myself having to do it manually, which is a royal pain in the a$#. I also can't seem to get the MSI control center to load my saved profile at boot, so every time I reboot the system I have to open the control panel and adjust the fan speeds. It's just annoying.

I checked the BIOS and can't seem to find anything in there that would help.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 19 May 2011 - 06:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Try Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php set the fan speed setting to Auto, I would recommend
that you check your temps every once in a while as a precautionary measure, you can manually set your
fans if you are not happy with the Auto setting/s.

Is the adapter in the .jpeg below what you require?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Yep, that's the adapter. Will that allow me to adjust the speed of the fan through the motherboard even though the fans don't have the yellow sensor wire?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
As I understand it if the fan header is controlled by a sensor on the MB then Speedfan can control it
be it a 3 pin or a 4 pin connector.
Check if your MB is on these lists @ http://www.almico.co...rds.php?man=249
A friendly user guide for Speedfan @ http://forum-en.msi....?topic=109858.0

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Unfortunately, my motherboard isn't on that list. But I honestly don't see many P67 or Z67 boards on that list. Maybe it's just hasn't been updated in awhile. I'll look around at NewEgg and see if they sell those adapters and give one a shot. I can't see them being too expensive.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 23 May 2011 - 08:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Here you go http://www.amazon.co...B/dp/B000BSJGL0