Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding Card Question

• Please log in to reply

stihlslingin

stihlslingin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I currently am running on a Toshiba Laptop with an i5 processor and a NVIDIA 460m Card. I had a friend give me what he said is an external expansion for PCIe which is a white tower with 3 pcie slots that hooks into my laptop express slot (He just built a new PC). I am unfamiliar with these products but would love to add juice to my laptop. It was my understanding that External graphics were limited. He says that I could run what I what. Im rather ignorant when it comes to these things. So I am asking here for help.
My question is. With the graphics card in my notebook currently, what additional card should be more than sufficient to add that will help enough to run games such as say Battlefield 3 @ max, Crysis 1, or Metro @ max settings. Basically is it even possible to add a powerful enough card. Here is the system specs on my GTX 460m and thanx for any reply

Core Speed * 675 MHz
Shader Speed * 1350 MHz
Memory Speed * 1250 MHz
Memory Bus Width 192 Bit
Memory Type GDDR5
Max. Amount of Memory 1536 MB
Shared Memory no

DirectX DirectX 11, Shader 5.0
technology 40 nm
Features Optimus Support, PureVideo HD VP4, 3D Vision, Bitstream HD Audio, CUDA, DirectCompute, OpenCL, OpenGL 4.0, DirectX 11, SLI Supported

Advertisements

stihlslingin

stihlslingin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i know that external graphics card expansion is rather new topic but i know someone has some info

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I am not familiar with any device that does this expansion. Are you able to link to the device and/or post pics? Sounds very interesting.

stihlslingin

stihlslingin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
http://www.dynapower...CP_i_NA211A.asp
This is a link to a similar product.

stihlslingin

stihlslingin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
after doing some additional searching i have found other devices that claim to do the same although they are more simple. i just dont want to blow 200or > on a video card and find out that i wasted my time. looks like he blew enough cash on this to begin with.