Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont allow Wireless PCI Adapter

• Please log in to reply

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Guys,

I have tried everything I know to solve this. Since a recent move, I am not able to have a wired network connection at the moment. I purchased a wireless PCI card so that I could connect to the internet (PC is used as an HTPC). However, after installing the most recent drivers and installing the wireless card I still get a Code 12 (Not enough system resources...) error within the Device Manager. I've tried everything including the following:

• Disabling almost every other device
  • Going into the Bios and changing IRQ
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling with hardware in place
  • Uninstalling and installing another Windows 7 (Windows Embedded 7 Standard)
  • Refreshing the CMOS
  • Flashing the BIOS
  • Attaching a different power supply (larger 500W)
  • Tried different sets of RAM

Nothing I did changed the Code 12 error. For everything I tried I started clean for each item, until the end when I tried everything at the same time :)

I entered a PCIex1 card in the PCI slots and it still worked, so the slots work. I also installed the same Wireless PCI card in 3 other machine running the similar specs and they worked, so the card is not the issue. Lastly, I bought another PCI card, only to have the same results. I ended up buying a USB Wireless Card which does work. Any suggestions or fixes on how to get the PCI cards working?

Specs:
AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz
ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G
PNY Optima 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Disabling things in the Device Manger does not realistically achieve anything. Turn off things in the system BIOS that you don't use and also where possible let the BIOS decide what IRQs belong to which devices. Also tell it it's a Plug & Play O/S and that the BIOS should decide about the resources.

. A code 12 error means the system hasnt enough resources. You can use the Troubleshooting Wizard in Device Manager to determine where the conflict is, and then disable the conflicting device.

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 May 2011 - 03:16 PM.

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I know what a code 12 means and I had already tried disabling everything in the BIOS. Also troubleshooting provided no answers or solutions because I tried that already as well.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, but you were able to connect with the USB wireless adapter - so that suggests it is not a networking issue.

I entered a PCIex1 card in the PCI slots and it still worked, so the slots work.

Here might be your problem. PCI and PCI Express (PCIe) are two totally different interfaces and despite their similar names, have absolutely nothing else in common. The fact the PCIe slot works tells us nothing of the status of the PCI slots. So at this point, I would be suspicious of your PCI slots.

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
IS there anyway to confirm this? I dont have any other PCI cards to test to see if they would work?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

IS there anyway to confirm this? I dont have any other PCI cards to test to see if they would work?

You can look in Device Manager to make sure there are no errors indicated for any PCI devices (look under System Devices). Other than that, you need another card.