Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent! Help please!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SiLveR001

SiLveR001

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
hi there, im currently experiencing problems on my network connection and apparently there are some problems with my firewall as well.
i was hoping if i could get any help to fix this problem

my OS is windows vista home edition and so far as i know there are some services that have been disabled and due to that im having these problems, one of this is the diagnostics policy service which the windows detected as the main reason for not having the connection. i tried turning this on but for some reason i keep on getting this:

"Windows could not start the Diagnostics Policy Service service on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access is denied."

it also applies on other services that are disabled which i think is also the reason im having a problem on the firewall.

i have tried to run anti virus and anti spyware programs but nothing have changed.
then i thought of restoring it to an earlier state but it appears that the past restore points have been deleted therefore im unable to restore it.

im hoping that this problem could be fixed without resorting to recovering to its factory setting, so that i wouldnt lose all the files i have.

if there would be any other information that would be needed i could provide it with proper instructuions.

thank you for the time and effort in advance.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

"im hoping that this problem could be fixed without resorting to recovering to its factory setting, so that i wouldnt lose all the files i have."

You can avoid that by copying your files to another drive or to a number of DVD discs. This is something you should be doing on a regular basis anyway, since hard drive's can fail at any time and when that happens you've lost everything without having copies elsewhere.

Once you've made backups of your files you can perform factory restore at any time without worrying about losing anything.
Without backups, a full system recovery is never an acceptable option so you should not put yourself in that position.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 20 May 2011 - 05:46 AM.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello SiLveR001:

We are sorry to learn that you are having problems with your system the symptoms you mentioned indicate this may be due to infection . This forum is specifically to help home users. Please read and follow instructions in BEGIN HERE: Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide

SiLveR001

SiLveR001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
oooh i see thank u for that advice :unsure:

its not that i couldnt afford to perform the recovery at any cost, since i can back the impt files nw, but i was wondering if there are other way to fix this problem without performing a full system recovery since i would like to treat that option as my last choice. :)

so nw im hoping there are other possible way first before i resort to the recovery

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Definitely follow the Malware cleaning guide and get one of our resident gurus to clean you up. If the problem still continues after being certified clean, come back to this thread and we'll have a look-see in the hopes of avoiding the recovery.

Cheers