Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie Troubleshooting advice

• Please log in to reply

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 5/20/2011
Time: 7:11:16 PM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-Z9Y9FSH9P
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 8 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 8 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 8 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

156280288 KB total disk space.
56375540 KB in 177081 files.
78268 KB in 10387 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
547104 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
99279376 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
39070072 total allocation units on disk.
24819844 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
70 2e 03 00 57 dc 02 00 75 ae 04 00 00 00 00 00 p...W...u.......
9f 17 00 00 07 00 00 00 d2 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
ac f6 ca 05 00 00 00 00 fe 5f 99 62 00 00 00 00 ........._.b....
e8 38 34 23 00 00 00 00 f2 65 b8 9f 04 00 00 00 .84#.....e......
e4 7d 4a 27 04 00 00 00 8a af 31 63 09 00 00 00 .}J'......1c....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 98 38 07 00 b9 b3 02 00 ..6......8......
00 00 00 00 00 d0 e3 70 0d 00 00 00 93 28 00 00 .......p.....(..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well we ran the TFC, but it has crashed a couple times so far trying to run the defrag. Is there anything like safe mode to make it less likely to crash? Or does it have to be in regular windows?

OK, it ran both are done.

Edited by Lake Camelot, 20 May 2011 - 07:29 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can boot to safe mode run the programs. I would be interested to know if it crashes too.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
So anyway it ran before I had to use safe mode. I am just using it to see if it still crashes, it hasn't for maybe and hour. I will probably update you either if it crashes. Or if it doesn't I will check back Sunday or Monday to let you know.

If it doesn't crash my other question is how to get rid of floppy disk fail(40) on startup? It still comes up and I am not sure if bios is what is wrong or what. I can live with that but would still like to fix it if possible. Thanks again so far it seems to be OK.

Edited by Lake Camelot, 21 May 2011 - 07:08 AM.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
OK, I seem to be doing well in Internet explorer. I tried to just open up Driver Max, since it usually crashed in the past and it crashed and ran CHKDSK after that. Then I was able to get rid of the floppy error in startup. I logged back on and tried Google Chrome. It crashed immediatly. I re-logged on and now I am in IE it is still working but it looks like I must still have issues. By the way the Avast said it updated it's definitions this morning if that matters. Oh yea after those two crashes I thought maybe I should run WhoCrashed and see if it was the same. It crashed when I tried to start the program. By the way when I say crashed now it goes black and re-boots the computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets check memory and hdd.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Just to let you know, I have to much going on for the next week to work on this right now. I will try this next Monday and post what happens. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem, real life is more important so when you are ready just reply here and I will get a email notifications. :)

Brother_Inkjet

Brother_Inkjet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is great1 I had the same problem with my computer and I thought the problem was with the peripheralsI had from this site
But from the way it looks, I surely have a lot to learn from you guys1

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 May 2011 - 09:58 AM.
Removed link for ad

Advertisements

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I am back from my time away.

I am almost positive it is not the RAM. I had 512 in it. found 2x256 and put them in it earlier to see and it was the same. Then I Put the 512 back in with one 256 and it is stillthe same.Anyway I I took out the 256 and I have not really been able to do anything. I downloaded IMGBURN and the file to another computer and I am trying to figure out what I can do, but right noe it is just crashing to much (The computer with the problem) I can't accomplish anything. I am thinking it is more likely the hard drive? Anyway I will try again later. No hurry, I know it is a holiday.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I am thinking it is more likely the hard drive?

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Sorry it took so long. I have really been having trouble logging on at aal now. I ended up dowloading the Sea tools and buring on a different computer. I booted the problem computer with it and it is running the test now I will let you know what it says when done.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Passed with no errors. So anyway I have just the 512 of RAM in. I am not sure I can run the test for RAM. Can I download and burn the file on another computer?

The reason I think it isn't the RAM is that I had the problem originally with the 512 RAM I found 2 256 rams and put them in instead. I had the same problem. Then I had the 512 and one 256 in and had the same problem. I am now back to just the 512 RAM.

You don't think that if I remove the anti virus software and try a different one it would fix the errors? I don't know enough about it but that sounds like an easy fix if it helps.