Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie Troubleshooting advice

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep download the program and burn it per the instructions.
After the cd is finished then put it in the system we are working on and start it up. If done correctly the test should start on it own. Make sure to let it run for at least 3 full passes. Probably better to let it run over night and that way it will do more then enough passes. If errors are found you will be able to see it with no problem.

Advertisements

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I ran 3 passes tonight with no errors. I can let it run longer tommorrow night if you want me to make sure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope 3 passes is fine since it showed no errors. Have you tried to restore your system back to a date just prior to all the issues starting?
This could be a program or a driver update that started all this.
Since you used Drivermax and I use it also, it may have updated a driver with a version that may not be to stable.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well I actually downloaded Drivermax after I started having problems. I am not sure how to go back to older drivers if I wasn't using Drivermax at that time.
Here is something I did not mention earlier. I didn't think it mattered because it has been crashing when I am online and offline. I use a wireless connection (WIFI). Should I disable it and see if that is causing the problem? Otherwise I need help trying to figure out how to roll back Drivers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To roll back drivers just go to Device Manager and right click on any driver you may think is causing the problem. In the little window you will see a Rollback entry
As far as the wireless if you think that may be the issue try running a cable between system and router and see if issue persists.
I would suggest the wireless approach since you stated DriverMax was installed after the issue started.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well I am still not having any luck. I am not sure were device manager is. Last night since I wasn't sure about device manager. I deleted programs I don't use. I updated drivers that came up as older. I deleted Avast and changed to AVG just in case that was the problem. I deleted Malware Bytes, just in case it was interacting with something else.

I am wondering if it is possible just cleaning the hard drive and starting over would work? I am really ready to fix it and am willing to lose whatever I have on the computer if it will fix it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

I am wondering if it is possible just cleaning the hard drive and starting over would work? I am really ready to fix it and am willing to lose whatever I have on the computer if it will fix it.

That is up to you and if you wish to do that I can supply the instructions for that.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
So messed with the drivers last night and saw no improvement. I got fed up. I copied a few files to disc and I ran windows repair. It ran through and said it would re-boot, if I have floppy in drive A remove it. I took this to mean leave in my CD in the drive. It rebooted. When Windows XP home started up it appeared to crash. It kept re-starting. I assume that means it didn't work and I need to do the total re-install.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It rebooted. When Windows XP home started up it appeared to crash.

What do you mean it appears to have crashed?
If it in deed did not work then I believe we are at a point where a total fresh install is needed. :)

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It just restarts the computer when it gets to Windows XP. Unless this is part of the process then I think I need total reinstall. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't part of the process that it kept re-starting the computer. I let it re-start 3 times and then I quit.

Advertisements

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Allright, I'm not sure if I should start a thread in a new forum since this doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Here is my update. I did get tired of the driver work and reloaded Windows XP. with a totally fresh reload it started. I loaded my wifi software on, updated the board drivers from disc. I wet to windows update and did quick update of most important updates. I downloaded virus software It rebooted after drivers and the first Windows Update. After the virus software and more Windows updates I try to reboot and Windows won't start anymore. I re-installed like this 4 times on the forth time I took the computer into the other room and plugged it directly in to the jack instead of wifi. I thought maybe there were errors on the updates because of the wifi. So I am not sure if the Avast of Windows are the problem but I would guess Windows is the problem? Maybe because of being so old? Could my ATT DSL be the problem? I don't really know what to try next. The computer will not start Windows in boots to the point you see Windows XP then clicks and re-boots.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Virus software I take it you mean Avast?
That last batch of windows updates would be a good starting point also.
Since it restarted with no problems up to the AV and the last updates I think you have narrowed the issue down.
I would say a new install with no AV installed until after the windows updates. Try to somehow keep a record of what updates are being installed so we can see what is in the batch that stops the reboot.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I was able to get Service pack 2 and 72 other updates to install. I did nothing different that I know of except not installing Avast software. I also installed driver max and since I was doing the free version I updated the two drivers I was allowed. The old problem started again. with the mouse freezing in place on the screen 3 times. I guess this would mean it is a hardware problem of some kind.

Edited by Lake Camelot, 07 June 2011 - 05:47 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Either mouse or USB is what I suspect at this. Point. Have you tried a PS2 mouse to see if it works without freezing?

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well here is an update. I only had one mouse/keyboard to try and the compute wouldn't recognize it. The ones I use are wireless Logitech keyboard/Mouse. The one plug had an adapter for either USB or the other keyboard connection. I took it off to try it as USB instead. It still is crashing fairly regularly. Not as bad as it was. I can't afford to buy a new keyboard and mouse right now. I downloaded the update for Service pack 3 to my computer(not through update) I thought mybe it would install better that way. It still crashes every time. The last time it started running I disabled evrythink I could see running (Wifi,Avast,Drivermax,etc) Ithen disconnected the mouse and keyboard after it started. It ran about ten minutes then locked up. Here is my latest crashes.

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 6/11/2011 12:04:17 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061011-04.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x2BB82)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFD6FF4ECC, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF80502B82, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 6/10/2011 11:47:36 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061011-03.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFC488957C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF80502B82, 0x0)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 6/10/2011 5:11:06 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061011-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswmon2.sys (aswMon2+0x77E8)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1902FE, 0xFFFFFFFFECCF353C, 0xFFFFFFFFECCF3238, 0xFFFFFFFFF7AAD4E8)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswmon2.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswmon2.sys (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswmon2.sys AVAST Software NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

On Fri 6/10/2011 1:55:37 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061011-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsp.sys (aswSP+0x9DCC)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41284, 0x10961001, 0x51BE, 0xFFFFFFFFC0883000)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswsp.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! self protection module
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsp.sys (avast! self protection module, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsp.sys AVAST Software MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

On Fri 6/10/2011 3:35:17 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060911-03.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFC16BD17C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF80502B82, 0x0)

On Fri 6/10/2011 12:54:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060911-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x472FA)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF8051E2FA)

On Thu 6/9/2011 2:19:30 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060811-03.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFC0D1957C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF80502B82, 0x2)

On Thu 6/9/2011 1:14:57 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060811-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atapi.sys (atapi+0x84F7)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0xC, 0x7, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFFF7B814F7)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
description: IDE/ATAPI Port Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 6/8/2011 11:52:44 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060811-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFD86354C8, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF80502B82, 0x0)

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupt:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060911-01.dmp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

On your computer a total of 10 crash dumps have been found. Only 9 could be analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

aswsp.sys (avast! self protection module, AVAST Software)

aswmon2.sys (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP, AVAST Software)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.