Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie Troubleshooting advice

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First off I would uninstall Avast and install MSE Microsoft Security Essentials. I am seeing some issues with Avast lately that are causing problems with systems.
After that is doen then the other errors I am checking on now. Download MSE before uninstalling Avast.
Then uninstall Avast and immediately install MSE. This will ensure you are not open for any rogue infection.
I'm thinking Avast is the root of your issue right now and replacing it may stop everything.

Advertisements

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Allright I did that. I am in no big hurry because it is not as bad as it was. However, I tried installing service pack 3 two more time through windows update and it locked up almost immediately both times. So I am not sure what to try next.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it giving you any error message when it stops?

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No everything just freezes. CTL-ALT-DEL won't bring up task manager. I have to turn the power off.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I can see no Software or Hardware issue in this at all. The only reasoning i see for the issue is the 512 megs of memory.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.
Post the link to the results page please.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
http://www.crucial.c...0629CCE31D926C3
This is the link.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm not really seeing anything that tells me anything on that. Am I missing anything or does that look OK. Maybe I should run the RAM test overnight to see if there is a problem I didn't see on the three times through. The fact that I reloaded evrything and still seem to be having similar problems makes me think it is some kind of hardware issue, but I am still not sure what. I really haven't tried the mouse change, but it did freeze up while the mouse was unplugged once.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Currently Installed Memory: 1.5GB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 0

According to that it says you have 1.5 gigs of memory installed. :)
Not sure what it is reading unless you have a dead memory module.
According to PC Pit Stops log you have 1.5 gigs of memory installed.
Please do the following.
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
OK, I can't explain why it isn't working. I have a 512 and a 256 in my computer. Iran it again and still get 1.5.

http://www.crucial.c...79BF90931D926C3

Want me to remove the 256 and re-run the test?

Edited by Lake Camelot, 12 June 2011 - 08:33 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get me the model number of each of the memory modules?
Did you run the system info instructions from my last post?

Advertisements

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

AMD Sempron Processor
2800+
1.60 GHZ 704 MB of RAM
Physical Address extension

ULTRA ULT30215
512MB PC3200DDR 400MHZ

Elixir M2U5664D
256MB DDR400MHZ
PC3200U-30330

By the way the 256MB was not originally in the computer when the problem started. I would think if it is a problem with the RAM it would have to be the 512MB one.When I thought it was the RAM I found I had 2 256MB RAM modules from an old computer I tried taking out the 512MB and putting in the 2-256MB modules. I had the same problem. Then I tried just the MB still same problem. So I settled on the more RAM. I left in the 512MB and one 256MB. I am not sure why it shows 704MB though.

Edited by Lake Camelot, 12 June 2011 - 10:45 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So I settled on the more RAM. I left in the 512MB and one 256MB. I am not sure why it shows 704MB though.

512 + 256 = 768 megs total.
Now if your video is built on the mobo it would use 64 megs of that memory as shared which would take it down to 704 megs total.
The OS needs 256 megs all to itself which leaves only 448 megs
Now open a program or go on the internet and you use more of the memory.
Now consider Autoruns and Startups and that leaves very little for anything else.
On a XP system we always suggest a minimum of 1 gig of memory to make sure you have enough spare memory for everything. Take in account you are mismatching memory and you could be running into some compatibility issues there.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
So would this be an exact match that I could use the current 512 along with it?

http://www.tigerdire...1020&CatId=1600

If so I will probably order it in a couple days.Even if that doesn't solve the problem, I would still have more RAM.

I am curious what could be causing that test to read 1.5 though. Is there any chance some software I have for the motherboard could be wrong somehow?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would order two and max your system out. Take out all the old stuff and then you would be guaranteed no problems with the memory working together.

Lake Camelot

Lake Camelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I just thought I would put an update in case anyone reads this thread and wants to know if that fixed the problem. I am not going to be able to do any fixes on the computer for a long period of time. I am having major financial issues right now and I can't afford to buy anything for my computer right now. As a matter of fact I can't even afford to replace my refrigerator that died on me. So I will try to find this thread if I get a chnce to buy the RAM. It may be several months though. As of right now it crashes less than it did, but still pretty often. I was able to update Windows to current after many tries. Thanks for all the help, sorry I can't follow through right now.

Edited by Lake Camelot, 26 June 2011 - 06:25 PM.