Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UAC Whitelist?

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
With my new build I've made the move to Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) and there are a couple things that I find annoying. One of the programs I installed triggers a UAC prompt every boot that is getting really annoying. It's a program, called Super-Charger, that increases the voltage of my USB ports when an iPad is detected. The program was provided by MSI and came with my motherboard.

Is there a way to turn off UAC for just one program without having to institute a global security change? Or is UAC just something that you guys/gals turn off anyway? I tried right clicking on the program, then going to the compatibility tab and placing a check mark Privilege Level section that says "Run this program as an administrator". Needless to say, that didn't work.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 19 May 2011 - 07:40 AM.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Add a service?
sc create SuperCharger error= ignore binPath= "FILE_PATH_HERE__IN_QUOTES"
Notice the space after the "=" signs or it won't work.

Then open services.msc and change the startup mode to Automatic (Delayed). "Delayed" is needed so that its dependencies will have time to start properly.

Edited by devper94, 19 May 2011 - 08:02 AM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I set it up as you indicated and then killed the HKLM/Run entry so they didn't conflict. After a reboot I checked the list of services and saw that it wasn't started nor was it listed under the processes tab in the task manager. I attempted to start the service and received this message:

Windows could not start the SuperCharger service on Local Computer

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Since that didn't work, how would I go about deleting the service that was created? After reading your suggestion, I wonder if I could fire it as a task without triggering UAC?

EDIT -> I was able to delete the service using Autoruns.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 19 May 2011 - 08:24 AM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
I forgot the timeout part...
Yes, Task Scheduler can do it. I haven't tested this since I don't have Windows 7, but you can run a task with highest privileges at logon. Link to Technet

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Well, I think I might be getting somewhere trying to fire the program using the task scheduler, but I'm running into an issue.

Here is how I have it set up:

• Task runs under OFFICE\Nathan
  • Run whether user is logged on or not is selected
  • Run with highest privileges is selected
  • Trigger 1 = At log on of Office\Nathan
  • Trigger 2 = At log on of OFFICE\Danyell

But for some reason, the task will only run if I (Nathan) log on. If I log off of my account and into my wife's account (Danyell) the task won't run.

I also tried using At log on of any user as opposed to the two individual triggers and it still won't run. Any suggestions? Last Run Result shows (0x2).

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Wow 666th post :)

Apparently 0x2 means "file not found".

Try running as user SYSTEM, and only at user logon. Also set the Start In value in your Action to the directory of the program.

P/s: A bit of Googling showed this: http://www.codeproje...yntservice.aspx
Requires a bit of configuring, but seems to be really nice.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Wow 666th post

:), I was hoping I would have something to post about before I had to sit around with that number under my name.

Well, running as System didn't work. :unsure:

I was able to get it working by setting up two tasks, one for my wife's account and one for mine. I had to create them in each respective account and use the part that says "Run only when user is logged on", but it works for both accounts now.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 19 May 2011 - 09:16 AM.