Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pretty sure I have a virus

• Please log in to reply

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I ran OTL but it didn't produce a log for me.

A copy of an OTL fix log is saved in a text file at

:\_OTL\Moved Files
in most cases this will be C:\_OTL\Moved Files

Next

That first look at a possible rootkit infection was inconclusive. Let's try another tool.

Please download MBRCheck.exe to your Desktop. Run the application.

If no infection is found, it will produce a report on the desktop. Post that report in your next reply.

If an infection is found, you will be presented with the following dialog:

Enter 'Y' and hit ENTER for more options, or 'N' to exit:

Type N and press Enter. A report will be produced on the desktop. Post that report in your next reply.

Advertisements

Lard

Lard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I've run MBRCheck twice, and it's not producing a report.

The scan says - Physical Drive 1: Windows XP MRB Code Detected
Physical Drive 0: Windows XP MRB Code Detected
Phyiscal Drive 2: RE(The RE is highlighted in blue) Windows 98 MRB Code Detected

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again Lard,

Kaspersky on line scanner is very thorough. It can take a long time and for periods may seem not to be working. Just be patient and let it do its job.

Kaspersky works with Internet Explorer and Firefox 3. It uses Java Runtime Environment (JRE) .

Go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

Note: you will need to turn off your security programs to allow Kaspersky to do its job.
Note2: If during the running of Kaspersky it stops because of a script running just agree to continue.

• Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
  • It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
  • When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
    • Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
      Archives
      Mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under Scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
  • You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
  • Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button.
Copy and paste that information in your next post and tell me how your machine is now.

Lard

Lard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
First of all, sorry. MBR logs saved to my desktop, and I didn't notice because I am a doofus.

I'll be back after running the other application in a bit.

Again, sorry for my doofusness.

Attached Files

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:)

Lard

Lard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
When I try and run Kaspersky, it tries to update and fails. I've done it five different times and it won't work. It says my license is expired.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Kaspersky can be like that sometimes.

Try this one instead.

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Note: ESET was designed to run with Internet Explorer, compatibility with other browsers has been added recently but if you find difficulty, go to using Internet Explorer
  • Click the green ESET Online Scanner box
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • You may see a panel towards the top of the screen telling you the website wants to install an addon... click and allow it to install. If your firewall asks whether you want to allow installation, say yes.
  • Click Start and if your security program asks you if you want to allow the program, click yes.
  • If you anti-virus is active you may see a panel appear warning you that this may affect performance. Disabling the programs listed may speed things along.
  • Make sure that the options Remove found threats and Scan archives are checked (do not worry about advanced settings)
  • Click Scan (This scan can take several hours, so please be patient)
  • Once the scan is completed, you may close the window
  • Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Online Scanner\b]log.txt[/b] (open Notepad > File > Open and navigate to the log.txt)
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

Lard

Lard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Here you go

ESETSmartInstaller@High as downloader log:
all ok
# version=7
# OnlineScannerApp.exe=1.0.0.1
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6427
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=be4198d63c97e14398860a63580f1ab9
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=false
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2011-05-29 11:36:50
# local_time=2011-05-29 07:36:50 (-0500, Eastern Daylight Time)
# country="Canada"
# lang=1033
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
# compatibility_mode=5891 16776869 42 87 0 17807582 0 0
# compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 0 0 0 0
# scanned=105374
# found=7
# cleaned=7
# scan_time=9491
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{AE1378C2-F5B3-40B3-96B9-20777D9814BB}\RP10\A0002246.rbf Win32/RegistryBooster application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{AE1378C2-F5B3-40B3-96B9-20777D9814BB}\RP2\A0000253.rbf Win32/RegistryBooster application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{AE1378C2-F5B3-40B3-96B9-20777D9814BB}\RP2\A0000254.rbf Win32/RegistryBooster application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{AE1378C2-F5B3-40B3-96B9-20777D9814BB}\RP2\A0000255.rbf Win32/RegistryBooster application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{AE1378C2-F5B3-40B3-96B9-20777D9814BB}\RP2\A0000256.rbf Win32/RegistryBooster application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{AE1378C2-F5B3-40B3-96B9-20777D9814BB}\RP2\A0000257.rbf Win32/RegistryBooster application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\05232011_172438\C_WINDOWS\system32\resetc.dll a variant of Win32/Kryptik.NDC trojan (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again Lard,

Looking pretty clean to me now. How is your machine?

Lard

Lard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Hi there.

I'm sorry I haven't replied til now, I've been busy with school (two summer electives).

Computer runs fine as far as popups and such. No viruses I think.

Pretty sluggish at times but I think I need to install more ram.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again Lard,

I'm sorry I haven't replied til now, I've been busy with school (two summer electives).

No problem, I am still here. :)

Pretty sluggish at times but I think I need to install more ram.

Go here for information about what makes your computer slow by Artellos.

miekiemoes has a blog with some information about slow computing too.

Just scroll down until you find it, might be helpful. Link below.

http://miekiemoes.bl...l/Slow computer

Now

I think your machine is clean.

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware. This will also clean out and reset your Restore Points.
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

Posted Image
Step 2
  • Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove but it may be a useful tool to keep. The Unhide.exe and MBRCheck.exe folder/files can be deleted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that your machine is clean here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regularly check that your Java is up to date. Older versions are vunerable to malicious attack.
  • Download from here Java Runtime Environment (JDK) Update
  • Scroll to where it says "Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 online" and download and follow the instructions to install.

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to uininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then. This helps with security and your computer will run more efficiently. I clean mine once a week.

For ease of use, you might consider the following free program:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reduce the amount of fragmentation in your machines file system occasionally run a defragmenter utility. You can use your built in program (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmentor) or alternatively here is a program you can download and use: Puran Disc Defragmenter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
* Consider using an alternate browser.

Opera may be downloaded from here. It is one of the least targeted of all browers.

Avant may be downloaded from here. Another one that is less well known.

Firefox may be downloaded from Here. I use Firefox because I like it. Used to be one of the safest but now targeted probably as much as IE.

Adblock Plus is a good Add-on for Firefox that helps prevent those annoying pop ups.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future here are some free programs you can look at:

• If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
    * Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
    * Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

And to keep your system clean consider choosing from these free for home use malware scanners and updating and running weekly.
  • Malwarebytes
  • SuperAntiSpyWare
Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

Have a safe and happy computing day!